    Anyone have a recommendation for a PCI board that will diagnose a 'dead' pc?

    thanks
    Fileseeker

    Fileseeker, Jan 21, 2005

  2. So, what's your question? Or is it that you wanted to show that you too can
    waste that very same bandwidth you accuse others, as you have just
    demonstrated?

    Gloria Goitre, Jan 22, 2005

  3. Fileseeker

    EricP Guest

    No, except that they are VERY expensive and not very good. I looked at
    two some years ago and decided it was not worth the money, unless
    taking up PC engineering as a job.

    EricP, Jan 22, 2005
  4. Fileseeker

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:03:30 -0500, "Fileseeker"
    |
    | >Anyone have a recommendation for a PCI board that will diagnose a 'dead'
    pc?

    | >thanks
    | >Fileseeker
    | >
    | No, except that they are VERY expensive and not very good. I looked at
    | two some years ago and decided it was not worth the money, unless
    | taking up PC engineering as a job.

    I'd tend to agree. My favorite troubleshooting method for a dead PC is parts
    swapping. That only works though if a person has an adequate supply of spare
    parts <g>

    (For the OP...)
    First, unplug all the drives, take out all non-essential parts - leave the
    CPU, one memory stick, keyboard, and video card. If you can take anything
    else out, do so. Then see if it does anything. If not, swap power supplies.
    If still no joy, swap CPU. Still dead? Swap anything/everything one a time,
    although I'd guess it's the mobo, since if the CPU and power is good, the
    mobo will at least give some indication of life (BIOS beeps, cooling fans,
    power lights, etc.)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2005
  5. Fileseeker

    Ron Martell Guest

    I have always found that my ISA bus POST card was a useful diagnostic
    tool but so few computers today have ISA slots that the card is about
    to join my "computer museum" collection.

    I am also looking for a PCI bus card to replace it but haven't found
    one yet that is affordable.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Fileseeker

    Tim Guest

    Tim, Jan 23, 2005
  7. No. "bandwidth" was the issue. Please stay with the issue in hand.

    Gloria Goitre, Jan 24, 2005
  8. Fileseeker

    kier Guest

    'One' isn't _you_ though, is he.