(Possibly OT) XP Home Network Through A Router - Advice Needed On Setup

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Dan Ricketts, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. Dan Ricketts

    Dan Ricketts Guest

    Hi All,

    I am looking to share files between 2 machines connected via a router, but
    have absolutely no idea how to go about this. The setup is as follows:

    Linksys router connected to NTL set-top box.

    One XP Home machine with a single NIC connected to the Linksys router,

    One XP Pro machine with 2 NIC's, One of which is connected to the linksys
    router, the other connected to,

    One Windows 98 (OSR1) machine with a single NIC.

    One Windows 98 (OSR1) machine with a single NIC, connected to the linksys
    router and acting as a web server.

    Now both XP boxes and the server can connect to the internet no problems
    (the other 98 machine doesn't need internet access), but I now want to share
    files between both XP boxes. Printer sharing is not required.

    I was thinking of perhaps mapping a folder on each computer where files to
    be shared could be placed (I don't really want the other machine to have
    access to all of my files though, only those in the specified folder - is
    this possible?)

    Any advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. I've google'd for
    information but most of what I can find doesn't make much sense to me (I'm
    still a bit of a 'networking virgin' I'm afraid!)

    Many Thanks

    Dan Ricketts

    Dan Ricketts, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Dan Ricketts

    cpemberton Guest

    You can do it exactly the way you said; create a shared folder on each
    computer where you will put the files to be shared. To share the folder
    you create, right click on the folder, choose Sharing and Security and
    select "Share this folder on the network". If you want the other
    computers to be able to write to the folder, also select "Allow network
    users to change my files". If you just want to allow read access, don't
    select this.

    None of the other files on your computers will be shared. You must
    enable sharing manually to share files so you don't have to worry about
    the other folders being available to network users.

    Hope this helps.

    cpemberton, Nov 29, 2003