Possible to Un-Install and Re-install IE6?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sens Fan Happy In OH, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. A few weeks back I wrote about an issue that transpired at work with
    the owner's PC becoming infested with spyware. To the best of my
    knowledge we've removed everything found. But obviously there might be
    "new" things that CounterSpy, Spyware Doctor, AdAware and Spybot may
    have missed.

    But now he is complaining because some pages on MSN's MoneyCentral do
    not load for him and features of his Ameritrade website no longer load
    and/or work. Of course he's blaming the spyware he "somehow" got off a
    religious site. But my bet is that either:

    (1) He's screwed up IE6 so badly that now things that should load won't
    or can't ...

    or

    (2) Some piece of spyware protection is blocking something.

    I can pretty much rule out #2 because several other PCs in the building
    have some or nearly all of the same programs running to block spyware.
    So my guess is he's totally messed up IE6 since this has been happening
    for 10 days now, according to him.

    I tried to locate a knowledge base article on removing and
    re-installing IE6 but all I could find was this one:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312451

    And it talked about re-installing MS Windows, which I really do NOT
    want to do because he is very tough to please and it would mean his
    system would be down for hours ... plus there's the possibility of
    other software not working anymore and needing to be re-installed.

    All I want to do is remove IE6, total and complete, and then re-install
    it from scratch. I'd rather use Firefox, but I know that some of his
    Ameritrade and MSN MoneyCentral items would probably not work well on
    there, if at all, and I'd be listening to more hour long tirades about
    things not working.

    I'm just at a loss! We're considering a new MB set complete with RAM
    and processor to spead up things given how many spyware protection
    programs I have running in the background to try and keep him from
    getting infected again. I know the simple answer would be to keep him
    away from the PC or train him where not to go. But he won't even admit
    that he's been on porn and/or gambling sites despite seeing traces of
    where he's been in the History file and cookies that are pretty
    tell-tale signs of possible activity!

    So what can I do? Is there an easy way to un-install IE6 and then
    re-install? Or can I somehow "repair" what he's screwed up? I need
    something that can happen quickly with not much down time and will not
    change his configurations much.

    Thanks ahead of time to all that can help!

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Mike Easter Guest

    That is most likely due to the configuration of his OE, or because it is
    an 'old' browser without some capabilities of newer browsers.
    MS's OSes don't support 'simply' removing OE. What /is/ supported is
    repairing OE or going back to a previous version of OE or reinstalling
    OE over itself. Or adding another browser, such as FireFox which would
    be very smart.

    Third parties have created applications designed to remove IE, one such
    example is IEradicator http://www.litepc.com/products.html free and for
    the Win9x series thru' 2Ksr1. 2Ksr2 & XP are a different matter.

    Mike Easter, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Mike Easter Guest

    Oops. s/OE/IE/

    MS's OSes don't support 'simply' removing IE. What is supported is
    repairing IE or going back to a previous version of IE or reinstalling
    IE over itself. Or adding another browser, such as FireFox which would
    be very smart.

    Mike Easter, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Cut and paste everything between the lines into notepad then save the file
    as ieinstall.reg make sure you change the save as... drop down box to all
    files. Once the file is saved then double click on it to merge it into the
    registry. When done you can download IE6 from here and reinstall it
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
    Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}]
    "IsInstalled"=dword: 00000000

    pcbutts1, Jul 11, 2005