    RichA Guest

    Modularity in pro cameras could fix that kind of decision not to
    produce a B&W model. Sensor packs, standardized bodies.

    RichA, May 12, 2011

  2. bob

    Bruce Guest

    True, but you would also need a different image processor. It isn't
    just a question of swapping colour sensors for black and white. So
    buyers who aren't interested in a black and white sensor end up
    subsidising its cost because *their* cameras end up more complex and
    expensive than they need to be.

    We have been hearing about this modular sensor idea for most of the
    last ten years, but it has still never been done at a commercial
    scale. Like the oft-touted Silicon Film, it seems like a good idea
    until someone evaluates all the drawbacks and works out how much it
    would cost to make.

    Possibly the nearest thing was that Ricoh P&S camera with
    interchangeable sensor/lens assemblies. Camera magazines were
    absolutely fascinated by it, but sales have been vanishingly small.

    Bruce, May 12, 2011

  3. bob

    Bruce Guest

    I don't disagree with any of that.

    Bruce, May 12, 2011
  4. bob

    Ray Fischer Guest

    And they're very expensive.
    Resolution is not relevant - most of them have very low resolution.
    The most important attribute of those cameras is low noise and high
    sensitivity since they are commonly used for long exposures of minutes
    to hours.

    Ray Fischer, May 13, 2011
  5. bob

    Bruce Guest

    A camera company is like any other company. It exists to make a
    profit, and as much profit as possible.

    So while there are lots of good ideas around, we will only ever see
    camera companies using the ideas that they think will make them money.

    Sometimes they take a gamble that doesn't pay off. Ask Ricoh how much
    money they made from their P&S camera that comes with a choice of
    lens/sensor combinations.

    Bruce, May 13, 2011
  6. bob

    Bruce Guest

    RAW-only is a good idea, but it would greatly restrict the market for
    such a camera. On the other hand, it would keep development costs
    low. I think the must-have feature would be the ability to review (in
    the camera) shots that you had taken. Live view would be nice, but
    the Leica M8 and M9 have managed perfectly well without it. However,
    I can't see many people wanting a camera where they couldn't review
    the shots they had taken immediately after taking them. So some form
    of processor would be required.

    Well, of course that's true! ;-)

    I agree, it doesn't. An interchangeable sensor might have some
    utility, but I can't see it being made to work commercially. But who
    knows? Nikon has recently patented such a system ...

    Bruce, May 13, 2011
  7. And P&S cameras with such tiny pixels that the Airy disk
    spreads the light over 4 or more pixels even wide open.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 16, 2011
  8. Cheap bodies, expensive razor blades^W^Wsensors.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 16, 2011
  9. bob

    nospam Guest

    Here is some recent Apple malware news;
    < http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20063683-263.html?tag=mncol;txt >[/QUOTE]

    the mac defender virus is not an exploit of anything in os x. it
    exploits people by tricking them into installing something. there's
    nothing you can do about that. some people are stupid.

    the only way for it to be installed is if the user clicks through the
    install process *and* gives their admin password and only then the
    malware is installed.

    if they don't do all of that, nothing is installed. quit the installer
    and no harm done.

    it cannot propagate on its own. it *requires* the user to do it.

    nospam, May 18, 2011
  10. bob

    PeterN Guest

    Once a cop, always a cop.

    Now if you could only forecast commodity prices we could make a fortune. ;-)

    PeterN, May 18, 2011
  11. bob

    nospam Guest

    my clock is right and set to the correct time zone too. the problem is
    elsewhere. this is partly a test post to see if my hunch is correct.

    nospam, May 18, 2011
  12. bob

    nospam Guest

    Now you have shifted time zones by 3 hours and you seem to be clock synced.
    Where exactly are you located? I am in California using PDT (UCT-0700).[/QUOTE]

    i quit and relaunched my news client, which apparently caches the time
    zone. expect another discrepancy next time i fly cross country. :) at
    least i know where the problem is.

    nospam, May 18, 2011
  13. bob

    PeterN Guest

    I am disappointed in you. Here I thought you had the power.

    PeterN, May 18, 2011
  14. bob

    nospam Guest

    The one button Mac Mouse is a thing of the past, and has been for
    years. For years before that little design change it has always been
    possible to get a two, or more button mouse for use on a Mac. I favor
    the, no longer made, MS 4 button (+scroll wheel) TrackBall, or Logitech
    Trackman.[/QUOTE]

    macs have supported multi-button mice since the late 1980s. it was up
    to the user to decide.

    nospam, May 24, 2011
  15. bob

    PeterN Guest

    So my version of Spyder is a back widow?

    PeterN, May 24, 2011
  16. bob

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Whisky-dave, May 24, 2011
  17. bob

    J. Clarke Guest

    What makes a mac "a good choice for reaching an elegant solution to
    multiple OS issues"?

    J. Clarke, May 24, 2011
  18. bob

    PeterN Guest

    I have a Windows machine running a Linux partition. I Never tried OSX
    but I have been able to run a Solaris partition a few years ago.

    PeterN, May 25, 2011
  19. bob

    John Turco Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    <edited>

    This PCer prefers Microsoft's "rodents" -- and irrespective of brand,
    I no longer buy >anything<, with fewer than 5 buttons (including the
    scroll wheel, itself).

    John Turco, May 27, 2011
  20. bob

    nospam Guest

    photoshop, lightroom, aperture, pixelmator. i'm sure there are more.

    nospam, May 27, 2011