    I'm wondering about equipment, will I need to mount special attennas on both
    ends, etc.
    Leo.

    Leo Violette, Nov 13, 2006

  2. Leo Violette

    ato_zee Guest

    A simple reflector of aluminium kitchen foil around a curved
    thin walled plastic container, using elastic bands to hold
    the foil in place, can add around 10 percent to signal strength,
    about 20 percent to signal quality and around 30 percent
    to range.
    USB wireless adapters are the most flexible since positioning
    is important and the thin USB cable makes this easier.
    Increasing the transmitted power by modifying the transmitter
    is probably illegal, making most use of the permitted power
    is probably ok.
    Using a reflector aids signal strength both transmitted and received,
    it also cuts out interference coming from the
    sides making it more line of sight.
    Intervening buildings will probably defeat you.
    The USB method is cheap to implement, and you can put one
    on a laptop and go roaming to map signal strength, and use
    Netstumbler to see what signals are around you.
    There are high gain aerials advertised, at a price,
    and no guarantee that they will work in your situation.

    ato_zee, Nov 13, 2006

  3. Leo Violette

    David Hettel Guest

    No you must have line of site, rain/snow and trees will all prevent this. If
    you can't see the target it would not work at this distance.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 13, 2006
  4. Hi

    It is illegal if you use Transmitters that exceed the Output rating of the
    FCC.

    However, people do achieve such range with legal equipment.

    It involves building towers that are high enough to make sure that you can
    compensate for the Fresnel effect, and using very hi gain highly directional
    Antenna.

    The Antennae has to be set with land survey equipment to make sure that they
    are looking “eye to eye” since to cannot align them visually from such a
    distance.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 13, 2006
  5. Leo Violette