Possible to connect laptop with MiniPCI-B with router that is G on

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I already have a desktop and laptop which are connected to a SMC Barricade G
    hub/router (laptop has a SMC wireless card - G).

    We just bought a second laptop which has an internal miniPCI wireless card
    - B.

    We do not seem to be able to connect the new laptop to the router. The
    laptop seems to recognize the SMC network (it shows strong connection bars)
    but it does not want to connect to it. Is it simply because my router is
    G-only and that the miniPCI card appears to be B-only?

    If so, what are my alternatives? I know I can purchase a second PCMCIA
    wireless card (like the one in the first laptop) but then I have a card
    sticking out of the laptop (the internal wireless feature was a welcome
    add-on). I suppose I could spend a little more and purchase a new miniPCI
    that has A,B,G capability. Any other solutions (tweaks, software-based) that
    would allow me to make this work without spending more $$?

    Thanks for your replies, comments and suggestions... Andre

    Guest, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    What security do you have turned on for your network ?? MAC filtering ??
    WEP ?? WPA ??

    MD

    Guest, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    None at the moment while I am troubleshooting...

    Guest, Dec 3, 2005
  4. check your router settings, if it has only "G" enabled, see if you can
    change it to "B/G" or "short and long".....

    M Irusalimsky, Dec 4, 2005