    Likes Received:
    0
    I know I am probably asking a vague question, sorry. Lighting storm came though, apparently computer was left on. Now system will not boot up or any evidence of screen prompts. Are there some ways of testing this so if motherboard or processor are shot or am I at the mercy of repair facility to tell me whats bad? Any insight is greatly appreciated. There was a surge protector on system but from what I have been reading they are not the greatest protection. Thank you

    micheal3200, Sep 16, 2006

  2. micheal3200

    mosccat

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi when you power up your PC does the cooling fan on the power supply work and are any lights working.

    If either of these answers is no then your power supply has failed. These can be obtained from various places ie Maplin and are simple to change.

    However the spike of electricity may also have damaged other items ie video , motherboard etc and the only way to find out is the replace items in turn.

    If power is ok I would try replacing the video next if that failed I would concider a new PC. The disk from the old PC may work in the new PC as a second drive and you would then be able to recover your Data

    Good Luck

    mosccat, Sep 26, 2006

  3. micheal3200

    mosccat