Possibility to add a zip-file to a new zip-file with "add to zip" (right-click) ??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by erikkie, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. erikkie

    erikkie Guest

    Hello

    does anyone know how I can get the option "add to zip" to the
    right-click-menu when right-clicking on a zip-file to add it to a new
    zip-file
    Winzip seems to surpress this entry when right-clicking on a file that
    is already a zip-file (for obvious reasons)

    The reason for it - because what I want may sound pretty strange - it
    is not to compress the file even more (that probably won't be possible)

    The only reason is to be able to add a comment to this new zip-file
    (adding comments is a feature in winzip)
    The reason for not putting this comment in the original zip-file (which
    is actually a backup-file from a industrial machine) is that this
    machine does not allow a special zip-format (else doesn't recoqnize it
    as being a zip-file anymore and backup can not be loaded back)

    Anyone?

    Thanks!!
    Erik

    erikkie, Jun 24, 2006

  2. wrote:

    You (or winzip) would have to silently decompress everything and create a
    new one. If the machine doesn't recognize recent zip formats, how can you
    think it will digest a comment?

    Walter Mautner, Jun 24, 2006

  3. erikkie

    erikkie Guest

    Hi Walter

    thanks for your reply
    No, I do not think this. This IS actually the reason for zipping it a
    second time. The second zip-file will hold the comment, not the first
    (being the one inside the second)

    In other words: The reason for zipping it a second time is just to
    store it with a comment together with other backup-files (to be able to
    distinguish the backups from one another).
    When I want to put it back in the machine, I unpack it so the orig.
    zip-file appears (without a comment). This zip-file will be fed to the
    machine

    Erik

    erikkie, Jun 25, 2006
  4. Ah, I misunderstood your "adding" the 2nd zip file ...
    Then the "add to zip ..." extension would not do what you want. I guess
    using a cmd to rename the extension, then using winzip to again zip it with
    a comment (also explaining how to rename back) should do the trick.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 25, 2006
  5. erikkie

    Plato Guest

    Depends on the packing app. you have installed.

    Plato, Jun 26, 2006