    this? Are there other storage devices that work out to be cheaper than
    buying memory cards when you don't have a chance to download them to
    your computer for a few weeks?

    gplantam, Dec 28, 2004

  2. I have never been somewhere that I could not find a photo store or an
    internet café where I could download to a CD cheaply.

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 28, 2004

  3. No, the ipod is fairly expensive, and the converter you need to add on to it
    has some issues (slow, battery hungry, etc.). If you are just looking for
    photo backup, there are other devices, either bare bones, or that have an LCD
    screen that you can review pictures with. A list of many of the devices is at:

    http://fhoude34.free.fr/PortableHD.htm

    I have had 3 of these devices: a Sima Image Bank (it had a software bug that
    made it inoperable, and I bought the x-drive II before I discovered a fix), a
    Vosonic x-drive II (ok, but slow to copy cards, and poor battery life), and
    finally CompactDrive PD6A (fast at copying cards, uses AA rechargable batteries
    which I also use for my camera, but some flaws in its construction).

    If you are going to be away from a computer for a few weeks, it might be better
    to go with a unit that has an LCD screen, which would allow you to share your
    photos with other people, either via the screen, or with a TV hookup. The
    Epson P2000 seems to be the favorite unit right now, but I've also heard good
    things from the Transcend unit.

    FWIW, I bought my x-drive at: http://insidecomputer.com/
    I bought my CompactDrive at: http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com
    Another good site is: http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/

    There are also devices that copy to CD, which have the advantage that you can
    mail home disks and make extra backups, but the downside is carrying the CD
    blanks around. I think one unit that writes DVDs has started to ship, with
    more units being announced shortly. Roadstor, Jobo, and Apacer are the usual
    manufacturers of these devices.

    Michael Meissner, Dec 29, 2004
  4. gplantam

    Don Lathrop Guest

    RoadStor
    http://www.micro-solutions.com/

    PicturePad
    http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_picturepad.html

    .... and you can burn to CD, as Mr. Meehan suggested.

    Don Lathrop, Dec 29, 2004
  5. gplantam

    Eric Gill Guest

    wrote in @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    No. It is, in fact, just about the worst solution on the market, unless you
    just *have* to have the smallest possible device.
    There is everything from basic hard drive cases that allow you only to put
    a card in and copy (some allow you to buy the hard drive you like
    seperately, overall very inexpensive) all the way up to wonderful devices
    that will display on their own relatively sizeable (3.8") LCD screen pics
    and vids:

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?
    BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=49164278

    Eric Gill, Dec 29, 2004
  6. gplantam

    Paul Rubin Guest

    How many photos are you talking about? Just use a big flash card.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 29, 2004
  7. gplantam

    Wilt W Guest

    <<How many photos are you talking about? Just use a big flash card.>>

    There are USB harddrives on the market, from about 2MB on up. I have one that
    is 40MB in a case 5" x 3" x 1/2" thick, and only 5.5oz !
    How many pictures can you store?...it depends on how many Megapixels and
    whether you store RAW or JPEG, and how much compression is used in the JPEG
    storage.

    --Wilton

    Wilt W, Dec 29, 2004
  8. gplantam

    ECM Guest

    I use a Delkin Devices USB Bridge. I attach a card reader to one end, a
    external HDD to the other, and push a button. It works fine; the
    biggest concern I have is carrying the HDD everywhere; it's a notebook
    HDD so it's pretty rugged. I can't review the photos once they're on
    the HDD either, but usually I'm so remote I wouldn't be able to find a
    TV or computer anyways.... It cost me $80 from the Delkin site; since I
    already had the HDD it was a LOT less expensive for me than any of the
    other solutions.

    ECM

    ECM, Dec 29, 2004
  9. gplantam

    RustY© Guest

    I can recommend the Archos G-Mini.
    Take a look on ebay and at www.archos.com

    RustY©, Dec 29, 2004
  10. gplantam

    HRosita Guest

    HRosita, Dec 29, 2004
  11. gplantam

    Arthur Small Guest

    Joseph,

    Have you ever been outside of the USA?

    Arthur Small, Dec 29, 2004
  12. Many times. Six different countries that I can recall.

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 29, 2004
  13. gplantam

    Sam Guest

    Sam, Dec 29, 2004
  14. gplantam

    Jer Guest

    And paved roads, electricity, and indoor plumbing and cell phone
    coverage in every one? If so, you don't go where I go.

    Jer, Dec 29, 2004
  15. I suspect that gplantam (the OP) was not going to such a place. However
    my daughter tells me that Botswana where she spent some months doing
    research does have both photo stores and internet cafes. Of course when she
    was in the field they had neither. Just an ant hill to climb if a hypo
    headed their direction.

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 30, 2004
  16. gplantam

    Don Lathrop Guest