    Just wondering, can i port span a vlan from any switch in the network,
    and sniff that vlan. If the vlan is sniffed, is all traffic except
    encrypted traffic vulnerable. Thanks

    mmark751969, May 20, 2008

  2. mmark751969

    networkzman Guest

    Mark

    Ofcourse you could configure vlan based span and monitor the traffic
    on dest port or you could do that as port based span as well. hope
    this link would be of help

    Thanks

    networkzman, May 20, 2008

  3. mmark751969

    Trendkill Guest

    Yes and I would consider using VACLs instead which are more scalable
    than spans. Although also depends what type of hardware/gear you are
    running. Spanning can be very intensive, and for smaller switches, I
    would stick to port spanning. Spanning trunks is perhaps the most
    dangerous for overrunning your hardware/memory.

    Trendkill, May 20, 2008