    Can anyone think of a way I can get calls to my mobile number delivered
    to me over a SIP trunk, without paying for a divert? Sipgate's response
    to the question is a terse negative.

    alexd, Aug 7, 2008

  2. alexd

    alexd Guest

    Sorry, should have been a bit clearer in my OP; the number is a personal
    mobile number on O2 PAYG. In an ideal world, I could port it to Sipgate
    and it would ring the SIP client on my [work] E61 that I carry around
    with me. SMS would arrive via some hitherto-unknown SMS > SMTP service.
    Appreciate the lateral thinking, although £150 would buy a lot of
    diverted minutes.

    alexd, Aug 7, 2008

  3. I'm fairly sure that porting Mobile numbers to anything other than
    another mobile operator is simply not allowed (or do-able)
    AIUI, it's for sending TXT messages only, rather than for general voice.
    (And if a portech box @ £150 is expensive, then 3 months of these guys
    will be even more expensive)

    Now, there there something you can add into Asterisk called chan_bluetooth
    (or chan_mobile, I've forgotten, and it's late) that's supposed to let
    you use a mobile phone via a bluetooth adapter from your own Asterisk box,
    so that might be a way forward, but it's not anything I've looked at.

    (And bluetooth under Linux has always looked like a bit of a black art
    to me, but admittedly I've not looked for many moons!)

    And it does seem like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 7, 2008
  4. Now if this were a service that lots of poeple wanted, I know an outfit
    that may be willing to offer a SIM hosting service to plumb into SIP
    trunks, but the payback time would be long, so minimum contract times
    would apply and a monthly fee...

    The down-side is that you "lose" the SIM card for the duration...

    Might be an interesting idea for people wanting the travel though...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 8, 2008
  5. alexd

    Tim Guest

    I thought they only did it for SMS.

    I think the only way at the moment is to put the SIM in a gateway of
    some description.

    Having virtual mobile numbers is something not possible at the moment.
    At least I don't know a way, and I have some customers who want it.

    But who know what might happen when the low power GSM guys get operating
    properly.

    Tim

    Tim, Aug 12, 2008
  6. alexd

    Chris Davies Guest

    Orange used to (still do?) allow free call diverts to geographic
    numbers. The catch was that you had to do it with a short code rather
    than from the phone itself.

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Aug 12, 2008
  7. alexd

    aqlimited Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I'm afraid us folks at aql can only grab a mobile number and intercept
    the SMS part. The best way to get your mobile on a SIP trunk without
    paying for the divert is to

    1) find a tariff for that number that has free calls to landlines or
    to a particular landline number
    2) buy a sip trunk with a geographic (landline) number

    and you're up and running...

    hope this helps

    very best,

    Adam

    aqlimited, Aug 13, 2008
  8. alexd

    Iain Guest

    Yes, they still do it for business customers. But the snag is that you
    can only set it up from the phone itself (or a phone) and not with a
    short code.

    It's set up on a couple of our phones, but not used it for a while.
    [pause to check] Yes, it is still there. Dial 330 to change settings, or
    07973100330 from any phone.

    Excellent feature, which I appreciate having even though I hardly ever
    switch it on.

    Iain, Aug 13, 2008
  9. alexd

    Chris Davies Guest

    Can't remember :p I think I used it once or twice several years ago,
    but the brand name and short code has long since slipped my mind

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Aug 13, 2008
  10. alexd

    alexd Guest

    The Asterisk box has a dongle in it and I have a spare 6310i, so I think
    I'll give it a go.

    alexd, Aug 15, 2008
  11. alexd

    alexd Guest

    It would be nice if chan-mobile.org mentioned this bug in the "Installing
    chan-mobile" section:

    http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=12015

    Right now, stupidly enough, I'm trying to figure out what PIN Asterisk
    [or is it the underlying Bluetooth subsystem?] is asking for when
    Asterisk starts.

    alexd, Aug 17, 2008
  12. alexd

    alexd Guest

    Got there in the end. Basically, if you're not running X on your phone
    system, you'll need to compile a bluetooth passkey-agent. Helpfully
    enough, there won't be any entry about this in the logs unless you turn
    on debugging. There won't be any logging about the obsolete options
    you've put in the config file, either.

    The mechanism for manually specifying PINs has been removed ["The old
    infrastructure /etc/bluetooth/passkey has been removed since the agent is
    supposed to be started by a user session. It is not meant to be system-
    wide."] This page explains how to do it:

    http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/Error_Messages.html

    alexd, Aug 17, 2008
  13. alexd

    alexd Guest

    Seems to work. Need to Answer() before Dial()ing, apparently. Getting one-
    way audio at the moment, feels like I'm 95% of the way there :)

    alexd, Aug 17, 2008