    Anyone knows the command to mirror a port on a cisco 2970 gig switch?
    ios ver Version 12.1(14r)EA1a.
    thanks in adv.

    ants, Oct 24, 2005

  2. ants

    Shine, Gary Guest

    Try

    interface FastEthernet0/2
    description Monitoring Port - All traffic will hit this port from
    thosebelow.
    port monitor FastEthernet0/3
    port monitor FastEthernet0/4
    port monitor FastEthernet0/5
    port monitor FastEthernet0/13
    port monitor FastEthernet0/14
    port monitor FastEthernet0/15

    Shine, Gary, Oct 24, 2005

  3. ants

    ants Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    unfortunately the port mirror does not apply to these switches.

    found the following command.. haven't put it in yet - will do tonight.

    Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source interface gigethernet0/1
    Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination interface gigethernet0/10
    encapsulation dot1q

    hope this will work..
    cheers

    ants, Oct 24, 2005
  4. "Shine, Gary" <> writes:
    >interface FastEthernet0/2
    > description Monitoring Port - All traffic will hit this port from
    >thosebelow.
    > port monitor FastEthernet0/3
    > port monitor FastEthernet0/4
    > port monitor FastEthernet0/5
    > port monitor FastEthernet0/13
    > port monitor FastEthernet0/14
    > port monitor FastEthernet0/15

    Only in older hardware. Something like a 2924xl, but not much newer.

    Doug McIntyre, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Taken from document:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a00801cde7c.html

    This example shows how to set up a SPAN session, session 1, for
    monitoring source port traffic to a destination port. First, any
    existing SPAN configuration for session 1 is cleared, and then
    bidirectional traffic is mirrored from source port 1 to destination
    port 10.
    Switch(config)# no monitor session 1
    Switch(config)# monitor session 1 source interface fastethernet0/1
    Switch(config)# monitor session 1 destination interface
    fastethernet0/10 encapsulation dot1q
    Switch(config)# end

    Jon L. Miller, Nov 5, 2005
  6. ants

    mprasad079

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2012
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    There is good document on this and which clearly explain how to do. search for "How to do capture on Cisco".

    Plz note - once u start monitoring, port will go into monitoring mode and you wont be able to access laptop where u are capturing.

    mprasad079, Dec 23, 2012