Port Forwarding through multiple routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NakedGam3r, Oct 12, 2012.

  1. NakedGam3r

    NakedGam3r

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Let's discuss this... :D Lets use port 60000, and I want to forward it through 3 routers.

    Router 1 LAN Settings:
    IP = 192.168.1.1\24 CIDR
    Gateway: Is this set to 10.0.0.1 (the address of the wireless ISP) ???
    Setup as a DHCP Server and connected to the public IP
    Port Forward: Port 60000 to Server @ip address 192.168.1.210

    Enter Router 2 through Cat5 Connection from port 1 on Router 1 to WAN port on Router 2
    Router 2 to Router 3 is Wireless only.

    Router 2 LAN:
    IP = 192.168.1.50\24
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1 ? or would it be 10.0.0.1????
    Port Forward: 192.168.1.210:60000
    Not set to be a DHCP server, but could it be with address reservations?

    Router 3 LAN:
    Setup as a Repeater using DDWRT linked to Router 2
    IP = 192.168.1.100\24
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 ???
    Port Forward: 192.168.1.210:60000

    I realize this seems very backwaters, but this is what I have to deal with. It currently doesn't work and every attempt to get port forwarding working fails. Please feel free to reply as if I were completely stupid and have no knowledge of networking. I noticed that one of the routers automatically changes the WAN IP address on router 2, and I'm guessing its because of all the routers being on the same subnet? Overall goal is to have internet to my server and client computers wirelessly and wired from router 3. HELP!

    -Gam3r

    NakedGam3r, Oct 12, 2012

  2. NakedGam3r

    creol

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm not sure what routers you are using but with Dlink and some of the other name brads you can set the first router up standard (gateway to WAN). All other routers are set up in "Bridge Mode". Basically this will allow the router to become a repeater. It will not serve DHCP or DNS etc... All services come from Router 1 as passthrough. Of course all of this depends on the router(s) you own.

    Example:
    Router 1
    LAN - 192.168.1.1 (255.255.255.0)
    Services DNS(or just passthrough to ISP DNS), DHCP, Port 60000 forwarding to 192.168.1.210

    Router 2 - Bridge Mode
    LAN - 192.168.1.10 (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    No Services
    DDWRT in some cases must be setup to recognize MAC address of Router 1

    Router 3 - Bridge Mode
    LAN - 192.168.1.20 (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    No Services
    DDWRT in some cases must be setup to recognize MAC address of Router 2.

    Now regardless of the location of 192.168.1.210 it should be able to receive via port 60000

    creol, Oct 20, 2012