    on the right software if only someone could tell me exactly what is
    the right software to use! I'd also like to maintain IE as I use an
    additional bespoke program for my work that needs IE to function.

    Polite, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Polite

    Patrick Guest

    Google-Toolbar seems to do the job for me!
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Patrick, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Polite

    TRADESMAN Guest

    PopupPopper is a great stand alone program. Fast , free, and reliable , I've
    used it for 6 months and wouldn't be without it!

    TRADESMAN, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Polite

    Polite Guest

    Thanks! I'll give it a go!

    Polite, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Polite

    Harrison Guest

    If you're willing to spend a bit of money, then Webwasher is
    definitely the way to go.
    It not only blocks standard pop-ups, but it also blocks those annoying
    flash ads and many advertising scripts. Pages load faster and they
    look cleaner.
    www.webwasher.com

    Harrison, Oct 31, 2003
  6. Polite

    Zknb Guest

    Switch to Opera web browser.

    Set it to "allow only requested pop ups" that way pages that need pop
    ups to work will still work. No fuss, no muss.

    Every time I see an add for some pop up blocker I keep thinking "po
    pups? I don't see any pu pups."

    Zknb, Oct 31, 2003
  7. Polite

    Sherry Guest

    Pop-Up Stopper (free edition) works GREAT for me at work (win98se) -- but
    messes me up at home w/ME... (I use google toolbar there, but I don't think
    it blocks as many.)

    http://www.refdesk.com/anti.html

    Sherry, Oct 31, 2003
  8. Polite

    Mara Guest

    Change your browser (if you're running IE) and you won't have that problem. :)

    "You'd also be better served to run 98SE or Windows 2000, or one of the Linux
    distros, over ME. Even XP is better than it is."

    Mara, Oct 31, 2003
  9. I've tried many pop up stoppers.
    My fav is ....
    PopUpCop
    Works like a charm, and integrates with your IE toolbar
    POW!
    http://www.popupcop.com/

    WorkingClassHero, Oct 31, 2003
  10. Polite

    Polite Guest

    Thanks - I'll try POPUPCOP now. Tried the others that were
    recommended and they buggered up my browser a bit. It's all a bit of
    a mine field this, isn't it. So many different opinions, so much
    conflicting advice...

    Polite, Oct 31, 2003
  11. Polite

    trout Guest

    Well; it's not really "conflicting" advice. There's just a *lot* of
    free software that does a pretty thorough job in stopping pop-ups. As
    well as the people that will inevitably tell you to use a different
    browser that has the capabilities 'built-in'.
    Just like any other software; try a few; and see what you're
    comfortable with, and what works for you.
    There *has* been a very favourable response to the Google Toolbar.
    Since I've been using it; it's blocked every pop-up *before* my
    'regular' blocker, that I still had running. Handy for *me*, since I was
    using the toolbar, already.
    The effect you might have noticed with it (BTW), may be due to the
    fact that you have to be careful about the installation. Avoid the
    'advanced features' like "Page Rank" that require the software to
    'track' you; and dump the extras like Auto-Fill, and make sure that it's
    not set to keep its own history.

    trout, Oct 31, 2003
  12. Agreed... Opera and mozilla do a NICE job of killing the pop-ups without
    much extra overhead... and as a bonus, you aren't plagued by
    OutlookExpress Security holes (viri)!

    MY suggestion is Mozilla... as for needing to keep IE, hell, without a
    crowbar you can't get it out of there anyway. It'll keep... Just don;t
    use it for websurfing unless you have zero alternative.

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Oct 31, 2003
  13. Polite

    Sherry Guest

    GREAT, Mara - are you going to buy XP for me? I'd like full version, btw...
    ;)
    something.

    Sherry, Oct 31, 2003
  14. Polite

    Mara Guest

    What, and waste _my_ money? Nah - I run 2k. And Linux. And 98SE. :)

    Sherry, if you're going to become a regular usenet poster, you might want to
    turn off the AVG sig. And run OE-quotefix, so your client will snip sigs
    properly.

    <snipped borked sigs>

    Mara, Oct 31, 2003
  15. Polite

    Patrick Guest

    Thanks for the signature (update)

    Patrick, Oct 31, 2003
  16. Polite

    Toucan Guest

    I see there have already been some recommendations for pop-up ad
    killers, and surely there are many more. I'd like to suggest a different
    approach, if I may.

    You're looking for software that will help you deal with pop-ups,
    preferably freeware, and without the need for you to abandon IE. Well,
    there's a nice little program that's becoming very popular, called
    SlimBrowser.

    Based on the Internet Explorer engine, it takes the best elements of IE
    and marries them to more advanced features such as tabbed browsing,
    pop-up blocking, form autofilling, and many more.

    You can read a small review -- along with users' opinions -- on
    CNET's Download.com site:

    CNET Download.com :: SlimBrowser 3.8
    http://download.com.com/3000-2356-10227422.html?tag=lst-0-1

    The program's publisher is FlashPeak: