    Any idea what causes that, and how I can stop it?

    Thanks!

    John <><

    John, Feb 1, 2005

  2. John

    Nurdle Guest

    Use the addblock extension. That might help.

    Nurdle
    Timestamp: Tue 01 February 2005, 04:18 AM -0000 (GMT Standard Time)

    Nurdle, Feb 1, 2005

  3. John

    Nurdle Guest

    Just confirm it doesn't show for me. I'm using addblock.

    Nurdle
    Timestamp: Tue 01 February 2005, 04:21 AM -0000 (GMT Standard Time)

    Nurdle, Feb 1, 2005
  4. John

    Nurdle Guest

    Sorry! That should be "ADDBLOCK". To early in the morning!!!

    Nurdle, Feb 1, 2005
  5. John

    Z Guest

    No popup for me.

    Z, Feb 1, 2005
  6. I have also noticed popups over the last week, the link I saved this
    morning was:
    http://humor.about.com/od/polistsjokesa/ I was going to get a list of
    sites but now that others are noticing, it seems a waste of time,it
    looks like some sites have managed a workaround Firefox's popup blocker.
    I hope not but it appears suspicious, maybe they have had some help
    from Microsoft.

    [email protected], Feb 1, 2005
  7. John

    Z Guest

    FYI: no popup for me.

    Z, Feb 1, 2005
  8. John

    Drude Guest

    FYI: No popup for me, and I DON'T have adblock installed. So...hmmm... not
    sure...

    Drude

    Drude, Feb 1, 2005
  9. John

    Moz Champion Guest

    Moz Champion, Feb 1, 2005
  10. John

    Arne Guest

    There is no pop-up's there. Check your system for malware and adware

    Arne, Feb 1, 2005
  11. John

    John Guest

    Thanks toy all of you who answered with ideas.
    It is not there for me anymore either- even though I changed nothing.
    I'm not sure if it was a "popup" in the true sense of the word - it looked more
    like some java-type graphics.
    The ad was for Bell Sympatico (who happens to be my ISP).

    Also, thanks for the reminder to keep my computer malware and adware free.
    I check for that regularly (say once a week) but perhaps that's not often
    enough. I do have a good firewall (hardware type in router) and good a AV
    program (McAfee).

    So, perhas it was a "trial" of some sort - I don't know.

    Thanks again, everyone.

    John <><

    John, Feb 2, 2005
  12. I'm sorry that I didn't keep a list of the sites but I know what a pop
    up looks like, it is a small window that opens on the Web Site usually
    advertising something. As I said it has occurred only over the past week.

    [email protected], Feb 2, 2005
  13. John

    Moz Champion Guest

    Well, no one else is seeing your pop ups, even if they dont block em!
    There are simply NO pop ups generated by that page, therefore, it is
    either something on YOUR system/setup that is generating such or its not
    a pop up at all.

    There are no pop ups on
    http://humor.about.com/od/polistsjokesa/

    (there is a drop down item, but that disappears if you go back to the
    top - and its not visible on access to the page, only if you scroll down)

    Moz Champion, Feb 2, 2005
  14. John

    loku Guest

    fyi

    There is a new generation of intrusive online marketing already showing
    up- rich-media ads - floating ads - full-page overlay , expanding
    banner and are built from complex code and will be harder to fight than
    pop-ups.Of course , next developments of browsers will tackle those one.
    check out www.eyeblaster.com

    loku, Feb 3, 2005
  15. John

    GFRfan Guest

    I don't see any sign of a pop up on the weather page but I do get the
    pop up message that Firefox has blocked a pop up on the About page.

    GFRfan, Feb 26, 2005
  16. John

    GFRfan Guest

    It appears to be from that damned Doubleclick. Time for an adware scan.

    GFRfan, Feb 26, 2005
  17. I am not the only one seeing these pop ups. If you have been reading
    this group over the past few weeks, lots of people are complaining about
    them. They are very random and will not pop up again on the same page.
    The only thing that I can find in common is that the pop ups only occur
    after clicking a link on Thunderbird. I can browse for hours in Firefox
    with no pop ups.

    The mystery continues.

    The mystery continues

    [email protected], Feb 27, 2005
  18. John

    Greg N. Guest

    Me too. As long as I've been using Firefox, I've not seen any of those,
    but today, I've been hit by a popup. It should not be there,
    but there it is.

    It's URL is
    <http://a.tribalfusion.com/h.click/I....bluestreak.com/ix.e?hr&s=284198&n=1166635125>
    and the image on it comes from
    <http://ak.bluestreak.com//adv/interland/^3977/^292386/il_hostcentric_59_700x400.gif>

    What is clearly missing is a way to determine who did it. I think, in
    its context menu, every browser window should display who opened the
    darn window. The user, the referer URL, an application name, ... whatever.

    Greg N., Mar 3, 2005
  19. John

    Moz Champion Guest

    Well, isnt that quite strange

    I run Firefox without pop up controls, and when I go to this page
    http://a.tribalfusion.com/h.click/I....bluestreak.com/ix.e?hr&s=284198&n=1166635125>

    I actually end up on
    http://www.hostcentric.com/frame.ht...ntric.com/DedicatedHosting/SM_Land.asp&ms=856
    the page has been loading now for over 5 minutes, and seems to be stuck
    in a loop between hostcentric and now.eloqua.com
    still waiting 99% (by Firefox indicator) complete -10 minutes
    been over a 1/2 now and still waiting for now.eloqua.com

    there is no pop up I can see

    Are you sure its a browser generated window? Do you have any spyware, or
    trojans or hijackers present on your system?

    Moz Champion, Mar 3, 2005
  20. John

    Big Will Guest

    no popups when I use it, but am I reading the webpage right? Are they
    trying to sell Fedora Core? Last I heard it was a Redhad Linux project
    that was supposed to be from free software (and AFAIK free to download
    from sourceforge).

    Regards,

    Will

    Big Will, Mar 3, 2005