Pop-ups, spyware, and the like

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by PopUlist349, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. PopUlist349

    PopUlist349 Guest

    I recently installed Firefox and Thunderbird. Immeidately afterward, I
    updated and ran SpyBot and AdAware -- both of these apps detected and
    removed several spyware apps that had been inserted onto my computer.

    I have noticed the absence of pop-up ads and other nonsense that is
    common on many of the sites I regularly visit. This morning after a
    week of Firefox I updated and ran SpyWare and AdAware, neither of them
    found anything.

    Does this mean that Firefox is blocking all this stuff that Internet
    Explorer allowed to enter, even though I had ZoneAlarm cranked up to
    its highest level?

    If Firefox is blocking this crap, it's worth the cost. And -- the tab
    feature is great.

    Thanks.
    SPQR
    <<<<

    PopUlist349, Dec 29, 2004

  2. PopUlist349

    Splibbilla Guest

    in
    maybe. i think unauthorized installs are espec likely if you allowed activex to run.

    i use proxomitron - always. it blocks all kinds fo [email protected] but i also set IE to as strict setting as possible.

    it looks good that IE has many settings (seemingly configurable) but i hate that teh settings are so vague.. "what's a "script"?
    VB? JS?

    if you have xp (or 2k?) you cna donwload and run MS's baseline security analyzer blah blah
    yes, (Ctrl+T) is way better than masses of un-aggreggated windows. Plus, the tabs load *behind* current tab!! so way better...
    :)

    Splibbilla, Dec 29, 2004

  3. PopUlist349

    Moz Champion Guest

    It depends on what you (or the application) consider 'spyware'. Some
    applications (and users) consider cookies spyware, when they are simply
    navigation aids, so if you block cookies (or restrict them) you may see
    less 'spyware' hits. Cookies are really not 'spyware' in any case.

    Pop-ups by themselves are not spyware, tho of course if you download
    anything from them (dependent on the actual coding) they may result in a
    'spyware' hit.

    As someone noted, it may be the lack of Active-X that is restricting the
    'spyware' hits.

    Personally I run with pop ups enabled and cookies enabled, and am
    totally 100% spyware free (cookies are not spyware)

    Moz Champion, Dec 29, 2004
  4. PopUlist349

    Moz Champion Guest

    Um, if Firefox is blocking this crap, it's worth the cost? WHAT cost?

    Moz Champion, Dec 30, 2004