pop-ups problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Hendrik Maryns, May 10, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    I've got a problem with pop-up blocking, which occurs in both Moz suite
    and my recent FF 1.0.3, both on Windows.

    If you go to
    http://catserv.ugent.be:8505/ALEPH/0EA24AE375992C79F012BB8162469638-00913/start/rug01,
    and search for a word, for example 'spain', then click on a 'Request'
    link, Moz/FF gives a warning a pop-up was blocked. Of course I don't
    want this, so I add the site 'catserv.ugent.be' to the list of allowed
    sites, but this doesn't help. I suppose this has something to do with
    the use of port 8505, but typing 'http://catserv.ugent.be:8505/' into
    the 'allowed sites' dialog box, doesn't help, it gets reduced to
    'catserv.ugent.be' immediately.

    Opening the link in IE with IEView solves the problem but is not a
    desirable solution, of course. How can I solve this?

    TIA, H.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    Interesting websites:
    www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
    www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
    aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare

    Hendrik Maryns, May 10, 2005

  2. Hendrik Maryns

    Roland Guest

    Add 'catserv.rug.ac.be' to the allowed sites too.

    Apparently the target page of the Request link (e.g.
    <http://catserv.rug.ac.be:8505/ALEPH...38-02266/file/item-global-0?P01=RUG01-0856658>)
    does the opening of the actual window, showing a page on
    catserv.rug.ac.be
    (<http://catserv.rug.ac.be:8505/ALEPH...2BB8162469638-00964/item-global/RUG01-0856658>)
    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \

    Roland, May 10, 2005

  3. Roland uitte de volgende tekst op 10/05/2005 13:05:
    Thanks, this works! I'll notify the webmaster of this problem.

    Cheers, H.

    Hendrik Maryns, May 10, 2005
  4. Hendrik Maryns

    Moz Champion Guest

    Um, you could also allow all popups of course <g>

    Moz Champion, May 12, 2005
  5. Moz Champion uitte de volgende tekst op 12/05/2005 5:09:
    As if I would want that! It was the main reason I started to use
    Mozilla, some time ago.

    H.

    Hendrik Maryns, May 12, 2005
  6. Hendrik Maryns

    Moz Champion Guest

    I never was as bothered by pop ups as most I guess, it was a feature
    that simply wasnt my cup of tea.

    Sure, there were a lot of ads using pop ups, but there were also many
    legitmate sites using them for assistance and other issues as well.
    Did you stop using email when spam came along? <g>
    They are simply a tool, sometime used incorrectly, just like spam is
    using the email tool incorrectly (imho)

    Moz Champion, May 14, 2005