Polycom VS EX and h323 proxy?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Chris Bradshaw, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Hi....

    We have some Polycom ViewStation EX/FX's, a Cisco 2600 h.323
    gatekeeper, and a Polycom MGC50 MCU gateway.

    Our network is in private address space behind a NAT firewall.

    I was wondering if anyone could tell me is there anyway to use a h323
    proxy with our PolyCom equipment. As far as I can tell, the Cisco 2600
    can be configured as a h.323 proxy, but I don't know how to configure
    the PolyCom stuff to use a proxy. Basically, I would like if possible
    for all IP based video conferences connecting to external sites over
    IP via the internet to have all traffic coming from one address which
    would make it much easier for me to secure our net....I would only
    need to allow traffic between proxy and internet.

    If it is not possible to specifically configure the Polycom gear to
    use a proxy, is there any way they could somehow use a transparent
    proxy?

    Any help much appreciated....

    Thanx in advance.

    Chris.

    Chris Bradshaw, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Chris Bradshaw

    shido Guest

    Why not use Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org) and use our h323 channel
    driver. Then you would have conferencing, softswitch, voicemail, sip proxy,
    number matching, predictive dialer, interactive voice respone server,
    billing system, pbx, calling card platform, and etceteras.

    --
    Greg Merriweather
    The NuFone Network

    519-251-8225 x 3000
    IM:

    shido, Oct 31, 2003

  3. It's not a matter of the Polycom having the ability to use a proxy, but the
    Polycom having the ability to register with a h.323 gatekeeper. Youre Cisco
    router can be configured as a proxy h.323 gatekeeper, so provided your
    Polycom can register with the gatekeeper, you can do it.

    Steve

    Cleetus Awreetus, Mar 6, 2004