poll - did you miss the voting about dividing r.p.d?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roland Karlsson, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. Roland Karlsson

    Renee Guest

    < poll - did you miss the voting about dividing r.p.d?

    Well, yes, I guess I did!

    Anyway, I'm not sure I should have since I'm new to this ng, and more of
    lurker than a poster!

    I'm not trying to bash anyone but I think this idea of splitting the ng
    basically stinks!

    I guess my camera falls into the ZLR category.

    But I also like reading people's posts about (quoted and paraphrased from
    http://tinyurl.com/4s2np)

    - accessories such as: external flash units, add-on lens elements, memory
    cards, microdrives, lens filters/hoods,
    camera bags/cases, camera maintenance, tripods and monopods.
    - Photography techniques
    - Image post-processing
    - Posting links to personal photo galleries or images

    Now I'll have to go to FOUR different ngs to read these posts?!?

    I installed News Proxy a short time ago and I don't have a problem finding
    the posts I want to read in this read this ng as it is now.

    I'm not sure anyone cares at this point in time but there's small chance I'm
    going to want to visit any of the new ng's if you split this one.

    Renee, Oct 25, 2004

  2. RPD will not be split. It will remain alive and well, so you need not
    worry. :)

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004

  3. This group is not going away. This is an expansion..not a division.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Roland Karlsson

    adm Guest

    And no amount of charters will guide new posters to subset groups either.

    Seriously - Usenet is chaotic by its very nature. If you need to moan about
    charters, maybe it's time to move to a moderated group.

    adm, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Roland Karlsson

    Renee Guest

    oh

    ok

    : )

    all riled up and nowhere to go . . .

    Renee, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Bottom line..

    If someone thinks his camera is a P&S, he will post to the P&S group
    (and/or RPD).

    If someone thinks his camera is a ZLR he will post to the ZLR group (and/or
    RPD).

    If someone owns a dSLR with a mount for exchangable lenses, he will post to
    the digital SLR-systems group (and/or RPD).

    Things will fall as they may, and the world will continue to function as
    usual. :)

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004
  7. Roland Karlsson

    adm Guest

    I agree with this poster - although I also understand that it's more of an
    expansion of the group. However - I for one can't be arsed to check through
    various groups to find information or postings I want to read. I predict
    that the sub groups will see little traffic and rpd will continue as normal.
    maybe with many threads crossposted to the subgroups too.

    Some people need to learn how not to read posts they don't like, or use
    filters instead. Maybe if they all go and hang out in arcanely titled groups
    that no-one knows the real meaning off (ZLR.....) then the moaning in rpd
    will decrease. However - I wouldn't expect members of the general public to
    know whether to post in rpd.z or whatever. They will all simply post to the
    rpd generic group.

    adm, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Roland Karlsson

    Steve Young Guest

    Lies, lies, lies. Do you have to trim your nose along with your eyebrows
    Barney?

    NGStatistics: Newsgroup Statistics Program
    Version 1.1 (using Copyright (C) 2002 Neil Lombardo,
    Based on groupstat, Copyleft (C) 2000 H. Alex LaHurreau
    Based on StatNews, Copyleft (C) 1998 Davide G. M. Salvetti

    Newsgroup.................: rec.photo.digital
    Stats Were Taken..........: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:00:00 GMT
    Stats Begin...............: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:02:51 GMT
    Stats End.................: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:47:10 GMT

    Messages Per Day..........: 325.7

    Steve Young, Oct 25, 2004
  9. Roland Karlsson

    adm Guest

    That's pretty much the size of it - however many users will just think
    "camera" as opposed to P&S, dSLR, ZLR etc....and almost all posts will go to
    RPD anyway, with some being crossposted to the relevant subgroup.

    adm, Oct 25, 2004
  10. Roland Karlsson

    Renee Guest

    That'd be very unfortunate for me if many threads were cross-posted.

    I have my News Proxy filter set to disregard all messages that are
    cross-posted to other groups, as do other people, I'm sure.

    I'd probably be missing some worthwhile posts.

    Renee, Oct 25, 2004
  11. Some are called range finders.
    Some are called P&S. Some are called EVF.

    Your definitions does not hold.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 25, 2004
  12. Nope - only for you.

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 25, 2004
  13. Classsifying is always difficult.

    And voting about classifications is the worst method.

    Or maybe a commity that decides is worse - I don't know.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 25, 2004
  14. (Dave Martindale) wrote in @mughi.cs.ubc.ca:
    It has manual exposure control. You can set exposure compensation.
    You can also preset the exposure by half pushing the release button.
    It is not a P&S IMHO.
    It is not a ZLR. ZLR means "Zoom Lens Reflex". If it was an EVF I could
    ....maybe... call it a ZLR - as the finder simulates a SLR. But I would
    not choose to do so myself.
    Agree.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 25, 2004
  15. Roland Karlsson

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    I don't.

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 25, 2004
  16. wrote in @news.supernews.com:
    It does not matter if you voted no or if I did not vote at all.
    We did the change - that is called democracy. Now, there are
    hints about cheating in the voting procedure. This undermines
    the democratic method.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 25, 2004
  17. True. They have their own group.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004
  18. Isn't he something else? ;-)

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 25, 2004
  19. Roland Karlsson

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    If a group is only usable by doing the things you suggested, then people
    will come to the group, find it unusable, and leave, unless they know how
    to do those things (and want to do them).
    You need to cater to *some* least common denominator. I'm just setting it
    lower than you are, because I like having people participating in newsgroups
    who aren't computer experts.
    I have absolutely no idea, at all, why you would think I would propose that,
    or, well, frankly, what you're even talking about here.

    Incidentally, I didn't even propose the particular small change we're
    talking about.

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 25, 2004
  20. Roland Karlsson

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Right. But my defnition of "knowing how to use Usenet" may differ from yours.

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 25, 2004