poll - did you miss the voting about dividing r.p.d?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Roland Karlsson, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. Roland Karlsson

    dj_nme Guest

    From memory, the only other manufacturer (apart from Oly) to produce a
    "zlr" (by your defenition) is Minolta, and their "110 Zoom SLR" (a 110
    film fixed zoom lens SLR).
    Otherwise, it would be a NG solely devoted to Olympus products.

    It would be nice if the compact digitals that are "slr shaped" were
    actualy ZLR cameras, but they all lack a mirror or pellicle or beam
    splitting prism that provides the REFLEX part of ZLR.

    I have and use a Minolta Dimage 7i, that isn't a ZLR, bacause it doesn't
    have an optical viewfinder nor a reflex mirror.

    dj_nme, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Roland Karlsson

    dj_nme Guest

    It still doesn't change the fact that the entire thread about this NG
    creation looks like an elaborate and pointless spam that will (even if
    it actualy takes place) will not make a jot of difference to posters in RPD.

    dj_nme, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Doesn't need it.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Roland Karlsson

    George Guest

    OK, so what does "SLR-like" mean?

    George

    George, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Roland Karlsson

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Should be. You mean that makes her a ZLR ?

    Alfred Molon, Oct 24, 2004
  6. Roland Karlsson

    Alfred Molon Guest

    They apparently call any camera in which you can set the aperture or the
    exposure time "SLR-like" - even if it has a plastic fixed focus lens.

    Alfred Molon, Oct 24, 2004
  7. Roland Karlsson

    Matt Ion Guest

    It's still at the RFD stage; alt.animal-training is pretty much divided
    over the creation of the .extinct subgroup itself, while those in favor
    are bickering over whether to just have one major .extinct.dinosaur
    division, or to break that down into sub-species as well. Those against
    aren't actually against the .extinct split itself, but rather whether it
    should stop there as there's not likely to be much traffic anyway, let
    alone splitting it up into .dodo, .dino, etc.

    It all seems pretty childish to me...

    Matt Ion, Oct 24, 2004
  8. Roland Karlsson

    Roger Guest

    Roger, Oct 24, 2004
  9. Roland Karlsson

    Roger Guest

    The link to the definition in the previous post defined a ZLR
    specifically as a dSLR that does not use an interchangeable lens.

    Roger

    Roger, Oct 24, 2004
  10. They can be dSLRs like the E20, or non-SLRs like the Sony 828. They are not
    covered by the rpd.slr-systems group because they all have fixed lenses.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 24, 2004
  11. Please don't mislead. That is not what it said.

    It said..

    "ZLR are SLR type cameras where the lens is not removable."

    SLR-type does not always mean SLR. According to Phil Askey of DP Review,
    and other quality review sites like DCViews.com, The Sony 828, Oly 8080,
    Canon Pro1, Minolta A1, A2, etc.. are all "SLR-type" cameras..and they are
    *clearly* not dSLRs.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 24, 2004
  12. Roland Karlsson

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    The way it's used, in some cases.

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 24, 2004
  13. Roland Karlsson

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    It's not my definition.

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 24, 2004
  14. Roland Karlsson

    andrew29 Guest

    It's a vague marketing term that encompasses true SLRs like the E20
    and non-SLRs like the 828.
    A digital camera with little manual control -- one that is expected to
    be used almost all of the time on full auto.
    Uh, nothing. That was a mistake.
    It seems so.
    I don't understand why you're discussing the names of the groups now.
    It's too late.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Oct 24, 2004
  15. I would expect control of focus - manual focus capability - in an SLR-like
    camera.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 24, 2004
  16. dj_nme wrote:
    []
    The new groups should provide more focussed discussion areas and improve
    the "signal to noise" ratio. For example, folks reading r.p.d who have no
    interest in DLSRs and their lenses will not have to filter out such
    discussions.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 24, 2004
  17. Roland Karlsson

    usenet Guest

    Shut up, troll.

    usenet, Oct 24, 2004
  18. Roland Karlsson

    Steve Young Guest

    I think this goes to prove that very few people from this group were
    involved in the discussion and vote. I wunder where all the unfamiliar
    yes votes came from? :(

    Steve Young, Oct 24, 2004
  19. Roland Karlsson

    Steve Young Guest

    sorry, business of the newsgroup is *always* on topic

    Steve Young, Oct 24, 2004
  20. It is not quite that simple. Read the charters.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 24, 2004