    The post are irrelevent to the people who use this newsgroup and if we
    ignore them, it will not not make a blind bit of difference to the
    newsgroup.

    dj_nme, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Roland Karlsson

    dj_nme Guest

    If memory serves correctly, it was Olympus that coinde the term ZLR to
    describe their fixed (zoom) lens SLR film cameras, later their early
    DSLR cameras like the D-620L and much more recently their E10 and E20
    cameras.

    dj_nme, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Hello..

    A digital ZLR can be an SLR with a fixed lens, or an "SLR-like" digital
    camera with a fixed lens.

    The E20 is a ZLR.

    Phil Askey Quote from DP Review..

    "What's probably more startling is the relatively minute size of the 2/3"
    type sensor used in the two previous digital ZLR cameras, the E-10 and E-
    20."

    Source: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1

    The E20 is at home in the ZLR group. It is off-topic in the SLR-Systems
    group because it has a fixed lens, and that group is for SLR Systems with
    interswappable lenses..according to the charter.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Roland Karlsson

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I wasn't going to get in to this, but Jeremy has hit the nail on
    the head..

    ZLR is a limited marketing term. It's a buzz word. It's not a precise
    definition. It can be used to describe *any* camera with a fixed zoom lens
    that has a shape similar to an SLR.

    After searching the net, I found a reference to the fact that Olympia
    coined the acronym, but I can find nothing on the Oly site to confirm this.

    When the big names like Canon and Nikon and Minolta start calling their
    products ZLR's and marketing them as such, or when I can walk into a
    large established camera store and ask to see the ZLR cameras without
    seasoned sales people giving me odd looks.... Then I'll recognize the term.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 23, 2004
  5. R in ZLR means "reflex". Where is the reflex in a 8080?

    There are only two digiral ZLR - OM10 and OM20.
    You just made a group for those.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  6. R means reflex. ZLR is a SLR without removable lens.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  7. I am not disappointed. You are right. They are both.
    ZLR is SLR without removable lens. So an ZLR is a SLR,
    and it can perfectly fine be discussed in the SLR group.
    The ZLR group is bogus.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  8. Silly - It is an acronym for "Zoom Lens Reflex".

    And personally - I have not seen this term being used
    at all here or in other forums before this discussion.
    If it is used for advanced digital compact cameras, then
    really no one knows it.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  9. wrote in 3136.bay.webtv.net:
    Not at all - camera comes from camera obscura - a hidden room
    or maybe closed box. Both film and digital cameras are closed
    boxes - so it is perfectly valid.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  10. wrote in
    Think? Then tell me.

    OK. Then tell me: I don't know.
    What has editing to do with SLR?
    You can be perfectly anonymous on USENET - so you can fix whatever
    result you want.

    This way of voting is archaic and has no meaning.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  11. NO. The SLR-System group is for dSLR cameras with interswappable lenses, as
    stated in the charter. That is why it is named the way it is, and not
    r.p.d.slr. ZLR discussion is off-topic in the dSLR systems group.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  12. So - if someone tals about his OM20 in slr-system then it is off topic.

    What about if he wants to know if he shall buy a OM10 or D70?

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  13. Off-topic does not mean forbidden. Post to either group, or RPD, but label
    the post OT if it is off-topic to the group you are posting. Read the
    charters. Everything is covered in great detail.

    Ideally, if someone does not know what camera type to buy, RPD would be the
    best group to pose such a question.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  14. Roland Karlsson

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I agree, but there are a few who would dispute this.. Anything
    with a single lens that looks kind of like an SLR seems to fit
    their definition.

    It's not a good term..

    Jim Townsend, Oct 23, 2004
  15. OK - now I have written what I think about this :)

    So - let those new groups be.

    We will se how it works out.

    The most irritating is ZLR.

    I did some research on the net. The ZLR comes originally from Olympus ...
    http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/camhistory/camhistory.htm
    .... for the iS series (1990-1999). It was rather compact cameras with
    large zoom and SLR finders; they called it ZLR for "Zoom Lens Reflex".

    This is a very good use of the ZLR acronyme. And you can also find it
    here http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/zlr

    Some of the first advanced digital cameras were much alike the iS
    series. One example is Camedia 1400. And indeed - this is a true ZLR.
    So - there is one more, except OM10 and OM20 - also Olympus.

    The Fuji Finepix S-7000 is also called ZLR - although it is an EVF. The
    Olympus 2500 also is called an ZLR - although this also is an EVF camera.

    Nowhere can I find that camera manufacturers call anything but real ZLR
    and sometimes EVF for ZLR. To call EVF for ZLR is ... ehem ...
    misleading. R is still "reflex". But ... with a rather open mind
    you could say that the EVF simulates a ZLR camera. Not to my liking
    - but I can accept it :)

    But I can find nowhere that camera manufacturers or camera sellers or
    technical photo sites calls just advanced digital cameras ZLR. Truly,
    I can't do that.

    But - here comes the weird part. News articles (like
    http://www.photoreporter.com/2004/04-19/features/zlr_vs_slr.html)
    do call everything advanced that is not SLR for ZLR. So, this
    is a kind of marketing speak IMHO. Spoken by people that have
    no clue technically.

    A pity that the naming was choosen after marketing speak. I don't
    speak it and so do not most that visit USENET to get info about
    digital photography.

    But this is history - zlr it is. Lets hope that it will not
    add to the confusion in the world too much :)

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  16. Thank you for your support. Please join us in the dSLR group and share your
    experience with other users.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  17. Hehe ... whatever :)

    Yes - I will visit the DSLR group.

    Lets see what I do with the three other (bogus IMHO) groups.

    You cannot read all groups - it takes too much time.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  18. Roland Karlsson

    Matt Ion Guest

    So if they're obsolete, they won't affect you at all, so why should you
    care about them anymore than more than you would care about the creation
    of alt.animal-training.extinct.dodo?

    Matt Ion, Oct 23, 2004
  19. Roland Karlsson

    Matt Ion Guest

    Seconded!

    Matt Ion, Oct 23, 2004
  20. Roland Karlsson

    Matt Ion Guest

    Most of them seem more like they're trying to DISorganize... *sigh*

    Matt Ion, Oct 23, 2004