    would have 30 threads and the oldie 84. And the only
    new group that would be used is dslr.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004

  2. My newsreader does not expand threads.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004

  3. It is s stupid choice and it got a massive YES.

    zlr? thats only Oly E10 and E20. And they are old now.
    I have not seen any substantial E10 or E20 posts in ages.

    rangefindrer? There is currently none. Rumours about a Leica
    and the of course the Epson thingie. A group
    for one camera? Same here - very few posts about
    this.

    point+shoot? Very few digital cameras are really P&S. The term
    is not even well defined. A dslr might be better at
    P&S than a compact digital camera. The P&S name comes
    from film cameras and it really means (to most) an extremely
    simple camera with fix focus that probably costs under $20.
    The biggest problem here is that no one really agrees upon
    what a P&S is. So - this group is bound to be confused.

    slr-system? Useful.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  4. To be clear - the settings I use opens the newsgroup
    with threads not expanded.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Roland Karlsson

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    No, it's not. We went over this extensively for quite a while in the
    discussions you ignored.
    There is no precise definition, since it is a marketing term, but it
    is used to cover larger non-SLR cameras with many SLR-like qualities.

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Roland Karlsson

    Wayne J Guest

    I propose a new group for voting on the breakup of rec.photo.digital. Maybe
    rec.digital.breakup.spam. I think discussions on the breakup of this
    newsgroup are off topic and should be carried out elsewhere.

    Wayne

    Wayne J, Oct 23, 2004
  7. Roland Karlsson

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    So, you saw the posts, ignored them, and are now complaining that no one
    let you know it was going on?

    Jeremy Nixon, Oct 23, 2004
  8. Roland Karlsson wrote:
    []
    Roland,

    There is an article here:

    http://www.photoreporter.com/2004/04-19/features/zlr_vs_slr.html

    which may help you clarify what comprises a ZLR. "High-end prosumer
    camera" might be another way of saying it, or "cameras which allow the
    same degree of manual control as an SLR but don't have interchangeable
    main lenses" might be another. A range of user-definable shutter speeds,
    apertures, focus etc.

    Sorry you missed all the discussion, though, your input would have been
    welcome. It does point to this group neing too "busy".

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 23, 2004
  9. That's a bogus and incorrect usage. ZLR is an old and well-established term
    with a real meaning: zoom lens reflex. The reflex bit tells you there's a
    mirror in the viewfinder's optical path (and that there's an optical, not
    electronic, viewfinder).
    Hopefully the pretentious/officious organizational types will spend their
    time in the new groups. They'll be lonely, though.

    Seriously, people with P&S questions who want input from people who know
    what they're talking about will be better advised to post here and not in
    the P&S group. Of course, all the knowledgable folks may be off the in dSLR
    group. Oops.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Oct 23, 2004
  10. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    []
    There was a lot of discussion about the best term to use, and ZLR was the
    best compromise. The article reflects current rather than historical
    usage of the term. Certainly, to me, whether the reflex is by mirrors or
    electronic means is less important than the fact that you are viewing
    through the taking lens, with all that implies about field of view,
    parallax and focussing.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 23, 2004
  11. Yes, they are.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  12. It also applies to "SLR-like" cameras like the Sony 828, OLY 8080, Canon
    Pro1, Minolta A2, etc..

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  13. Roland Karlsson

    andrew29 Guest

    I think so.
    slr-systems, probably.
    It depends.
    What is "range-finder flash memory"?
    No, of course not. I even went to the trouble of cross-posting part
    of the discussion here, because denizens of this group don't read
    news.groups.

    The weirdest thing about the vote is the huge number of people who
    don't post here but voted YES to all the new groups. Given that at
    least one of these groups is deeply silly, I can only conclude that
    votes were forged or hundreds of people vote YES to any call for
    newsgroup creation, no matter what its substance.

    The arguments were about 50:50, so the overwhelming YES vote is very
    suspicious.

    Andrew.

    andrew29, Oct 23, 2004
  14. Yes, they are. Even Phil Askey named the E20 as a ZLR.

    ZLR: And SLR or SLR-like camera with a non-removable lens.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  15. The Canon S400, S500, A300, A410 Nikon 3100, 3200, 4100, 4200, 5100, 5200,
    3700 and so many more are P & S

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  16. It has new meaning as applied to digital.

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  17. Right.

    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/ZLR

    http://www.jafaphotography.com/digital_camera_features.htm

    Woodchuck Bill, Oct 23, 2004
  18. Roland Karlsson

    TheWebJunkie Guest

    Expanding on your logic, CAMERA is an old and well-established term with
    a real meaning -- a device that focusus an image onto a light-sensitive
    emulsion in order to create a picture -- and therefore DIGITAL CAMERAS
    and VIDEO CAMERAS cannot exist.

    TheWebJunkie, Oct 23, 2004
  19. Roland Karlsson

    Pepys Guest

    It's not Matt. Just a few insecure and insignificant tonks who feel the
    need to organise.

    Sam

    Pepys, Oct 23, 2004
  20. Roland Karlsson

    dj_nme Guest

    Sorry to disapoint you, but both the Oly E10 and E20 are SLR cameras.

    They both have an optical through-the-lens viewfinder with a mirror (or
    prism or pellicle) to provide the "reflex" part of the SLR acronym.

    dj_nme, Oct 23, 2004