    the north east there may well have been people messing around in and
    around the fountains and someone may have complained that someone was
    taking pictures of them (that one is just a complete what if?)

    Paul Heslop, Jun 25, 2010

  2. RichA

    Paul Heslop Guest

    exactly. I think I have heard of a couple of people being stopped from
    photographing odd places, like train stations, but not as often as you
    hear about London.

    Paul Heslop, Jun 25, 2010

  3. RichA

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Was he detained? have we heard that this actually happened? has he
    been charged with something?

    We, the Brits, don't make the rules. people in power are using anti
    terror laws to excuse all sorts of things. they even use them to
    combat dog poo on the streets apparently. Our govt and our local
    councils are full of people who like nothing more than to restrict
    freedom for the average Joe. Since Thatcher and through the Bliar
    years things have gone from bad to worse.

    But please, don't label all of us with these power crazed bastards.

    Paul Heslop, Jun 25, 2010
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Perhaps you are another person who doesn't understand the difference
    between "likely" and "always".

    Bruce, Jun 25, 2010
  5. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On the other hand, I was approached by a security guard in the
    industrial park next to the airport in Sanford, Florida. There was a
    large petroleum tank with a circular iron staircase around it. I
    thought the stairs and the shadows made an interesting photo.

    The guard asked me what I doing photographing the tank, and I told him
    why it interested me. He told me photography of the tank was not
    allowed and stood there until I left. He didn't ask me to delete the
    photos, though. I think he wrote down my license plate number.

    tony cooper, Jun 25, 2010
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Then you could visit London without fear, because your cloak of
    invisibility is obviously working very well. Just make sure to bring
    a spare set of batteries and a charger. ;-)

    Bruce, Jun 25, 2010
  7. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    That's probably because you are taking it all just a little too
    seriously. You are falling into the same trap as the author of the
    magazine article. It isn't difficult.

    The "logic" behind the police action, if there is any, is concerned
    with being seen by the public to be doing something about the
    terrorist threat. Think of it as being more about PR than about
    counter-terrorism.

    Bruce, Jun 25, 2010
  8. RichA

    Paul Heslop Guest

    thanks, and yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

    Paul Heslop, Jun 25, 2010
  9. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Where did you get the impression that logic is involved?

    tony cooper, Jun 26, 2010
  10. Per Bruce:
    In the USA, at least, I think that the worst thing terrorists
    have done - second to killing people - is to cause us to put a
    bunch of bureaucrats in the position of trying to look like they
    are doing something.

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 26, 2010
  11. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Actually I believe that we can blame the Depression for that one. 9/11
    just added more to the tally.

    J. Clarke, Jun 26, 2010
  12. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    You want small government, you want minimal (or zero) regulation of
    commercial companies, you want unfettered capitalism, you want low
    taxes. But at the first sign of anything going wrong, Americans want
    to know what their government is doing about it.

    You cannot have it both ways.

    Bruce, Jun 26, 2010
  13. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Just where did you ever get the idea that were were ever a Jeffersonian
    democracy? We are a republic, that provides protection for the rights of the
    minority.

    Peter, Jun 26, 2010
  14. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Shouldn't you have morals?

    Ray Fischer, Jun 26, 2010
  15. Remembr that at least in the US, the powers are doing a modestly good
    job of police protection. After 9/11, until Obama got in, they did,
    aided by Lady Luck, did a perfect job. With Obama, of course,
    Lady Luck saved us a couple of times ... and there was one real, actual,
    fatal, terrorist attack in the US with 14 fatalities.

    The successes in protecting us were done by standard police work:
    tips, spies, and profiling. The failure to protect was done by
    ignoring multiple, repeated, tips, no spies necessary, and by ignoring the
    very obvious perfect-fit terrorist profile of the perp.

    So that's the bottom line: tips, spies, profiling, and Lady Luck. It works.
    If Lady Luck fails, the others matter.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Jun 27, 2010
  16. RichA

    krishnananda Guest

    I don't think you can count the explosion of the BP drill-baby-drilling
    rig in the Gulf of Mexico as a "terrorist attack."

    Or maybe you can...
    So the profile is: British, blonde, curly hair, penchant for yacht
    racing, "I want my life back" Tony Hayward?

    krishnananda, Jun 27, 2010
  17. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember Doug McDonald
    Yebbut, shrinks quite often go nuts.

    Grimly Curmudgeon, Jun 28, 2010