  1. RichA

    Peter Guest

    He's a big guy.

    Peter, Jun 25, 2010

  2. RichA

    Peter Guest

    I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

    I'm comfortable that the Duck will back me up. Her body language is clear. I
    wish you guys many happy years together.

    Peter, Jun 25, 2010

  3. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I would hope that the UK police are not making decisions about whom to
    stop based on whether or not they look like a tourist.

    If the terrorists found out that this was the practice, and tourists
    wouldn't be stopped, they'd add a day to the terrorist training
    program and teach them to carry give-away airline carry-alls (not from
    Etihad Airlines), Frommer guide books, and A-to-Zed maps. They could
    teach them to look left first when stepping off the kerb and prepare
    them by having their teeth whitened and straightened.
    And wear a Wallabies or Barbarians tee shirt.

    tony cooper, Jun 25, 2010
  4. But were you 'armed' with tourist garb? Too many forms thereof, but
    favorite is plaid Bermuda shorts with Madras shirt and baseball cap,
    white socks and sandals.

    John McWilliams, Jun 25, 2010
  5. RichA

    Peter Guest

    I NYC there is a policy to make the City a haven for professional shoots.
    Professional shoots require a permit, mainly for crowd control and revenue
    purposes. It is no big deal to get one. In State parks the rule is similar,
    but rarely enforced unless you are doing a major shoot. The permit purpose
    is primarily for revenue generation. Photography is freely encouraged on
    non-Port Authority bridges. Indeed two years ago I saw a couple being
    married on the Brooklyn Bridge. The obligatory professional photographer was
    present and the police were encouraging the public not to interfere with
    stupid hand waving gestures. The couple was just a young couple with no
    political connections, who just wanted to have their wedding at that
    location. As to the Port Authority, they are a bunch of A-hole bureaucrats
    who need to justify an inflated police budget. Friends of mine have freely
    shot inside the subway system. Other friends have received permission to
    shoot inside the bowels of Grand Central Station. (I would have liked to go
    on that one, but I was out of town at the time.)

    Peter, Jun 25, 2010
  6. RichA

    Peter Guest

    As is normal for a teen.
    As a teen, my younger daughter gave herself a buzz cut on half her head and
    walked around wearing a designer skirt and combat boots. She wore Michael
    Jackson gloves before he did. She grew out of that phase, though she has
    retained her independence of thought and self confidence.

    Peter, Jun 25, 2010
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    We flew from Florida direct to London and had a room pre-booked in the
    Whitehall district. You know how it is with international flights:
    you fly all night but don't sleep. My wife, daughter, and I crashed
    in the room the day we arrived. Son, though, was to excited to sleep.

    When we woke up a few hours later, son was gone. He had taken the
    tube to the Virgin Record Store in Marble Arch. When he finally got
    back to the hotel he admitted that he didn't know the hotel name or
    address, or the name of the tube station where he boarded, but found
    his way back by taking the same tube back and getting off where the
    station looked familiar. He was quite indignant that we were upset.

    He's now been to London four times; twice with us when the four of us
    went, and twice on his own seeing an au pair that he had dated when
    she was here. (That romance didn't last, but she's now back here in
    Florida and married. She and her husband come to visit son and wife
    occasionally.)

    Daughter spent part of one summer in Germany on a university study
    program. She was fortunate enough to have been able to go to Berlin
    when the wall came down. Attending the Pink Floyd concert was the
    main appeal, though.

    Independent, self-sufficient kids.

    tony cooper, Jun 25, 2010
  8. No, I don't filter them, but made a careless mistake in trimming,
    whereas I should have replied off his post. Sorry!

    jpmcw

    John McWilliams, Jun 25, 2010
  9. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Watch it. With black socks and sandals you could be taken for
    English.

    tony cooper, Jun 25, 2010
  10. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    To be really convincing, though, you would have to get into a dust-up
    with someone and claim to have lost it over one more joke about shrimp
    on the barbie.

    tony cooper, Jun 25, 2010
  11. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Spare us the self-serving crap, you racist asshole.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 25, 2010
  12. RichA

    Paul Heslop Guest

    I actually don't believe that they do. In the UK we have allowed them
    to nibble away at our liberties for a long time. terrorism is just an
    excuse.

    Paul Heslop, Jun 25, 2010
  13. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Twisted by the Goons? Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all. I was
    a little too young to appreciate them on the radio, and the television
    version of the Goon Show (the Telegoons) involved puppetry and was
    something of a flop. But I liked the cast members in later years as
    their careers developed, mostly independently of each other.

    The show that formed my appreciation of comedy was Round the Horne,
    another BBC radio show, written and presented by Kenneth Horne with a
    small but dedicated cast. Are you familiar with it? I ask because I
    think you might enjoy it, if you haven't already ...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_the_Horne
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Round+the+Horne&aq=f

    Bruce, Jun 25, 2010
  14. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Big deal. You have uncovered one plot.

    Since September 11, 2001, the UK's security services have uncovered
    around 45 plots before any damage could be done. They didn't uncover
    two plots which resulted in attacks in 2005.

    I think that neatly shows the difference in the threats faced by the
    UK and Canada.

    Canada's planned withdrawal of its troops from Afghanistan in 2011 has
    been well publicised since 2008 and that will also help keep Canada
    less at risk than those nations - principally the USA and UK - who
    will still have large numbers of troops there long after Canada has
    pulled out.

    Bruce, Jun 25, 2010
  15. RichA

    Pete Guest

    Tony, that's called "smart casual" here. Grey socks and sandals is
    "casual", unfortunately. It amuses me that cameras sold in the UK have
    auto red-eye removal, what we need is auto grey-sock removal.

    Pete, Jun 25, 2010
  16. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    I liked all of the above with the exception of Hancock. He left me
    cold, but I've never been sure why.

    Milligan was also a very nice man. I had the job of meeting him and
    showing him around the Students' Union at University in the early
    1970s. He arrived late, and we had a deadline to meet for him to open
    a bookshop. As he stepped out of the taxi a fellow student was poised
    to take his picture. The photographer panicked, and fumbled, nearly
    dropping his Pentax Spotmatic.

    Milligan patiently waited while the young man regained his composure
    and made his composition, then struck a suitably amusing pose. He
    spent a couple of minutes talking to the photographer, signed a model
    release and asked for a copy of the photo, insisting he would pay what
    was in those days quite a large sum of money for an 8 x 10 print. I
    thought Milligan was an absolute gentleman and I was a devoted fan
    right until the end. It was a privilege to meet him.

    Here's a high point from late in his career:

    Bruce, Jun 25, 2010
  17. RichA

    Peter Guest

    But if you overdo it and claim you heard the joke last night, you will be
    taken as a Brit.

    Peter, Jun 25, 2010
  18. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    The USA? Friends of mine have had similar treatment in New York,
    Washington and Chicago, as I explained earlier in the thread.

    In the UK, outside London, and in the USA, outside those cities, the
    problem seems not to exist. But those cities are known to be prime
    targets for Islamic terrorists.

    Bruce, Jun 25, 2010
  19. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Must be either your friends from Olympus, or your famous IP lawyer.

    Can't say about Chi-town, but with a small exception of the PA in NYC,
    neither I nor any of my friends have ever been harassed in either NYC or DC.

    Peter, Jun 25, 2010
  20. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I have never owned a pair of Hush Puppies. Those were suede "Desert
    Boots". Popular footwear in that era.

    tony cooper, Jun 25, 2010