Polaroid; Back from the grave already??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 14, 2008.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    from Amateur Photographer:

    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u..._camera_with_builtin_printer_news_180485.html

    Polaroid ponders 'bridge' camera with built-in printer

    Wednesday 13th February 2008
    Chris Cheesman
    Polaroid ZINC

    Polaroid may launch a 'bridge' camera with a built-in printer
    following the launch of its first digital compact camera to use such
    technology later this year.

    The news comes just days after the firm announced plans to axe instant
    film production.

    Until now Polaroid had been only planning to launch a lower-end
    compact camera with built-in printer - expected out later this year
    with a seven-million-pixel imaging sensor.

    'If the prosumer users say we want something which is closer to a
    bridge [camera] with a very high zoom and different features, we are
    ready to do that,' revealed Philippe Kalmbach, senior vice president
    and general manager of Polaroid Europe.

    In an exclusive interview with Amateur Photographer Kalmbach said that
    Polaroid is likely to launch such a product if the demand warrants it
    and is monitoring the market closely.

    The first camera in the range will accept 2x3in paper, fed into the
    camera via a paper tray. The paper will come in packs of five or ten
    sheets.

    It uses Zero Ink (ZINK) technology, which Polaroid hails as the
    digital equivalent of instant film.

    Similar to dye-sublimation printing, ZINK uses heat to produce an
    image on special paper.

    'ZINK Paper is an advanced composite material with embedded yellow,
    magenta and cyan dye crystals, activated with 200 million heat pulses,
    in 30 seconds, in a single pass,' states the techology's marketing
    material. 'With 100 billion crystals in a 2x3in print, the paper is
    100% inkless.'

    The first product to use the system will be a printer (pictured),
    scheduled for UK launch in June priced £79-99.

    Initially, ZINK Paper will come in three sizes: 2x3in, 6x4in and
    10x8in.

    A launch date for the first of the ZINK-enabled cameras is yet to be
    finalised, as has the specification. It is expected to cost between
    £149-199, according to Kalmbach.

    Kalmbach said that future cameras may accept larger paper sizes but,
    this year at least, paper for its first generation cameras will not
    exceed 6x4in.

    'ZINK technology has almost no limitation in size, as the technology
    lies in the paper itself and is being produced on very large sheets,'
    Kalmbach told us.

    RichA, Feb 14, 2008

  2. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    Hello, Rich:

    Thus, Polaroid is abandoning instant film photography, in favor
    of instant digital photography? Very intiguing idea, and I wish
    the company great success, in its attempts to "reinvent" itself!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Feb 17, 2008