polarized lens cleaning

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by greensteak, May 1, 2004.

  1. greensteak

    greensteak Guest

    OK, I have a small mystery that could use some light shed upon.

    I use a little air brush for most lens cleaning. Just a few brushes,
    and dust b' gone.

    I have the Sony DSC f717, and have following attachments, all Sony:
    0.6x wide angle lens, 2x zoom lens, circular neutral density filter,
    and polarized lens filter.

    The brush is fine for all but the polarized. When I brush it, holding
    it at just the right angle to see anything that may be on it, the
    brush strokes actually leave behind little "smudgettes" that have to
    be removed with lens cleaner solution. If the brush was dirty, I would
    think it would leave these on every piece of glass it touched, but it
    doesn't. The brush is kept clean. There is no substance on the brush
    to my knowledge. The smudgettes have to related to the surface
    characteristics of the polarized lens.

    Can anybody enlighten me on what this is?

    Thanks,

    GS

    greensteak, May 1, 2004