    But then, excessive is just a matter of opinion, something Meister isn't
    able to recognize.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005

  2. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    I only quoted your own statements. It's not my fault if what you wrote
    isn't what you meant.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005

  3. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    If a message below the BI isn't cancellable as spam, why is it still spam?
    Why isn't it about your whining about my whining of his whining then?
    And yet you never comment on anything he posts.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005
  4. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    Actually, spam was named by MUDers first. It was later applied to Usenet
    and then to email.
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/spamterm.html
    You're right, by that definition it's only advertising. Which, if you had
    actually read Meister's positions, it what he's really against, not spam.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005
  5. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    You learn something new everyday. Of course, I came to the internet rather
    late in the game, 1996. I think spam was already used ubiquitously with
    email by that point.

    I found the history of spam here:
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/spamterm.html

    Interestingly, it points out that spam is not a Usenet term, but a MUD term
    that was adopted for Usenet, much as it later was adopted for email. Also,
    it notes that email spam predates Usenet spam by 10 years, although both
    were not called that at first.

    Of course, this is an interesting tangent, since Meister isn't against
    spam, he's against what he considers advertising. Also, the point wasn't
    really about his position on advertising either, but whether he could be
    civil enough to recognize differences of opinion. He's clearly not.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005
  6. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    It came from MUD. Do your homework. ;)

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005
  7. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    I was unaware of the MUD connection -- as you say, "something new
    every day". Thanks for posting that link. (Brad Templeton's Web
    site is well worth poking around in, for all sorts of interesting
    things.)

    Stan Brown, Apr 4, 2005
  8. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    I agree with you there. A 4-line article once a week is a lot
    different from a 500-line article once a week.

    Most _responsible_ people who post FAQs post frequent pointers and
    infrequent copies of the whole FAQ list. Steuard Jensen takes this
    approach in rec.arts.books.tolkien, for instance. Of course, he
    also uses an honest name and e-mail address.

    Stan Brown, Apr 4, 2005
  9. Stan Brown

    Justin Guest

    Jay G. wrote on [Mon, 4 Apr 2005 06:30:05 -0500]:
    That is actually a different definition for the term.
    It's still spam. The definition is wrong. Using that definition you
    could post a million copies to 19 different groups and it wouldn't be
    called spam.

    Justin, Apr 4, 2005
  10. Stan Brown

    Justin Guest

    Stan Brown wrote on [Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:40:04 -0400]:
    It's a shame he didn't detail what he meant by the term coming from BBS
    and MUDs. I am fairly sure by spam in a MUD it means to flood a channel
    with useless drivel. Says, tells, etc.

    Justin, Apr 4, 2005
  11. Stan Brown

    FAQmeister Guest

    Wrong. I updated it last Saturday. Before that it was Feb 20. Before
    that it was Jan 25. etc.
    Like your inability to recognize that when certain DVD reviewers are
    posting pointers to their reviews 3-4 times a week, that's both
    advertising and excessive.

    FAQmeister, Apr 4, 2005
  12. Stan Brown

    FAQmeister Guest

    And yet according to you and the other losers who like to whine about
    the faq, those 500 lines contain no content that might be useful to
    anyone.

    FAQmeister, Apr 4, 2005
  13. Stan Brown

    FAQmeister Guest

    That is simply not true. Those you describe are a tiny minority.

    Or are you saying that the overwhelming majority of faq maintainers who
    post their faqs regularly in their entirety are somehow "irresponsible."
    Totally irrelevant.

    FAQmeister, Apr 4, 2005
  14. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    Name some FAQ authors who weekly post their complete FAQs.
    Right, the integrity of the author has no bearing on the legitimacy of the
    FAQ written by them.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005
  15. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    What's you point?

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005
  16. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    I thought we were arguing origin of the usage. MUD, Usenet, and email all
    use the term spam to refer to excessive traffic by a user.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005
  17. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    People found the review link post useful too, but you didn't consider their
    opinions valid, did you?

    This argument really isn't about whether your FAQ is a pale copy of a
    better FAQ designed to carry your personal opinion of what can or can't be
    posted in this group. It's about whether you're mature enough to accept
    differences of opinion and stop attacking the other FAQ when it's posted,
    like your detractors have stopped attacking yours.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005
  18. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    What were the updates? They certainly aren't noticeable. In any case,
    you're admitting that 3 out of 4 of your FAQ posts offer noting new, and
    that you post 4 identical copies of the same article. What would be wrong
    about limiting it to once a month, when you actually have something new in
    your FAQ?
    See? You really don't recognize that excessive is a matter of opinion.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Apr 4, 2005
  19. Stan Brown

    Justin Guest

    And Hormel uses it to refer to spiced ham.

    Justin, Apr 5, 2005
  20. Stan Brown

    Jay G. Guest

    Do you have a point somewhere?