Point and shoot that will work with pro lighting system?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Samson, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. Samson

    Samson Guest

    My wife wants to replace her three or four year old Sony DSC-S85
    camera mostly because we understand that newer cameras have eliminated
    the annoying shutter delay of the older generation digital cameras.

    As a graphic designer she also used the camera sometimes to take
    commercial pictures and had access to professional lighting for fill
    lighting. The Sony camera had a proprietary hot shoe so we were never
    able to get it to interface with the lighting systems to trigger flash
    fills.

    So we want the next camera to have this ability. Is it necessary to
    go up to the semi-pro level SLR cameras to get the trigger flash
    interface? We'd really rather have a relatively inexpensive and small
    camera for casual point and shot use that can be used once in a while
    for external lighting shooting. Any recommendations?

    Sorry if this sounds contridictory? Does it?

    \Samson

    Samson, Apr 7, 2006

  2. Samson

    Hunt Guest

    One solution would be to trigger the studio rig with an optical sensor, like a
    SuperSlave. HOWEVER, you will have to be concerned about the built-in flash
    unit's "pre-flashes," which will likely trigger the studio unit(s)
    prematurely, and then the ability to manually over-ride the exposure settings
    for the built-in's strobe, and just let the output of the studio unit
    overpower the built-in's lower power. Don't know which camera units will allow
    for these circumstances.

    One could also use "hot lights" for the studio setup, but if you have access
    to studio strobes, it would be a shame to not use them.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Samson

    Paul Rubin Guest

    There are special optical slaves you can get for digicams, that know
    about the preflash and trigger the main strobe on the second flash.

    See, for example: http://www.srelectronics.com

    Paul Rubin, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Samson

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Also some point and shoot digitals do not use a pre-flash when
    they're in manual mode. It's worth testing for that.
    I find that I can use my White Lightning studio flash in slave
    mode, triggered from a throttled down setting of the camera
    flash, with the camera set in manual mode. I usually set the
    camera flash for one-third of full -- which is the lowest it will
    go. This technique also works when a Vivitar 283 flash is
    coupled to a peanut slave trigger.
    I suspect the no-preflash in manual mode technique is also
    usable with later models of the Canon Powershot series.
    A friend of mine has a Nikon P&S and he's also using it in
    manual mode with a Vivitar 283 fired by a standard slave unit
    (not the digital type) which is triggered by the camera flash .
    This allows him to shoot fairly large groups, even in dark rooms,
    with good lighting.

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Apr 7, 2006
  5. Samson

    Pete D Guest

    My Sony V1 once focused is certainly plenty fast to take the shot and will
    happily work with an external flash unit including standard non dedicated
    studio flash units, all I needed was a basic hotshoe adapter.

    Pete D, Apr 7, 2006
  6. Samson

    Skip M Guest

    Using a radio slave unit, like Pocket Wizard, would work to trigger the
    studio strobes. Sort of pricey, $375 or so, IIRC, for transmitter and slave
    unit. The studio lighting she has access to may already have a similar set
    up, check before you buy.
    As far as a camera, as long as it has a hot shoe to communicate with the
    transmitter, what ever camera you like will be suitable.

    Skip M, Apr 8, 2006
  7. Samson

    Ralph Guest

    In Australia you can buy a kit for $30 AUS that can be set to trigger your
    flash from whatever number of flashs your camera puts out.
    My Fuji can generate a single flash or one preflash we set to redeye
    reduction.
    I therefore set the slave flash switch to trigger on either one or two
    flashes, depending upon what mode I am using the camera with.
    It is not physically connected to the camera and can work with any camera
    with a built in flash or a hotshoe flash.

    Ralph, Apr 10, 2006