    Win2000 - to improve and extend it (i think).
    How would i go about supporting that?
    Thanks.

    Robert Baer, Jan 29, 2014

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    I saw something for kernelex for Win2K.

    http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149233-kernelex-for-win2000/page-3

    References to Kernelex have been removed from Wikipedia (by morons).

    The purpose, would be to add API elements, so more
    modern versions of programs could be added.

    To give an example, when support for Win2K ended, game
    developers started including DirectX materials from
    Microsoft, which caused installation problems (on purpose).
    It was Microsoft's way of causing Win2K users to have
    to upgrade to WinXP. In one case, I followed a simple
    patch with a hex editor, and the game ran just fine after
    the "check for WinXP" was bypasses. That's the kind of
    evil that Microsoft gets up to. I can understand the
    addition of new functionality, that requires new architectural
    features. But Win2K and WinXP are close enough in terms of
    design, that should not be happening. But if the folks
    at Microsoft "install a wedge" in their latest software,
    new stuff starts mysteriously failing.

    And that's what I'd hope would be included in a KernelEx.
    Is any API stuff added on purpose to break things. So I wouldn't
    have to patch a game, or work around some artificial check
    that's been added, just to break stuff. The Win2K software
    is already multithreaded and multitasking, so it's just
    as capable as WinXP for the purpose of running programs.

    KernelEx won't fix everything. The author of it, has to be
    content fixing a limited set of subsystems. In a way, it's
    almost as ambitious a problem as creating WINE for Windows.
    And it took a long long time, for that to be viable. The
    person working on KernelEx will have to be content with
    smaller victories, or end up making a full time (non-paying)
    job of it.

    It's like patching cracks in plaster - you never stop.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 29, 2014

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Thank you very much!

    Robert Baer, Jan 29, 2014
  4. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Well, i FINALLY got on the msfn forum; problems were i had been on it
    ages ago and i did not remember the password and it took a rather long
    time to answer back (but with a new one).
    In ant event, it seems that kernelex is a "patch" that allows
    Win2k/WinXP programs to work in Win9x.
    So i gotta noodle around and maybe ask a few dumb questions about
    extending Win2K.

    Robert Baer, Jan 30, 2014
  5. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Yes, Kernelex is mainly for Windows 98. But I understood they
    were doing something for Win2K.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 30, 2014