    FWIW 212.159.114.45 is my (static) IP address.

    Thanks,
    Chris

    Chris Davies, May 9, 2006

  2. Chris Davies

    Paul Cupis Guest

    That first line is the sort of error I'd expect to see if your SIP
    traffic is using RFC1918 space. Can you sniff the traffic and look at
    the SIP headers? Any config option in your client to hardcode the IP
    address used?

    Paul Cupis, May 9, 2006

  3. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Ah, that's an interesting one. If I run the software on my laptop at
    work (using 10.0.0.0/9 address space with NAT/PAT to the big wide world)
    it works fine and registers. When I run the software with the same
    dynamic configuration at home (using 192.168.128.0/21 address space with
    NAT/PAT to the big wide world) it fails with this error.

    I wonder whether the work firewall (a CISCO PIX) is doing in-packet
    processing for SIP; I know I've had to disable the SIP alg on my home
    router/firewall.

    Thanks for the thoughts.
    Chris

    Chris Davies, May 9, 2006
  4. Chris Davies

    Tim Guest

    The cisco probably has its SIP ALG switched on, and they usually work.

    The ALG's in lots of home routers do more harm than good.

    Do plusnet have an outbound proxy that they suggest you use?

    The error message looks like it has come from SER, so looks like they
    haven't installed the nathelper parts of SER.

    Tim

    Tim, May 10, 2006
  5. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Yeah, looks plausible, thanks.

    Agreed. Most definitely!

    sip.plus.net, but it's still objecting even when I use that.

    SER as in http://www.iptel.org/ser/ ?

    Interestingly I hard-coded my home (static) IP address in the SIP
    application, and now it works fine not only at home - reasonably enough -
    but also at work (i.e. the CISCO PIX appears to be handling the clearly
    wrong IP address "correctly")

    I'd also tried using a STUN server, but at home the service complained
    I had a Symmetric NAT and so STUN couldn't help me. (I thought Symmetric
    NAT was the "most correct" implementation of NAT? In which case it's
    amazing that STUN can even work at all...?)

    Chris

    Chris Davies, May 11, 2006