    Thank you.

    If you need help figuring out anything else, please ask, and we will try
    to help.

    Graham J, Mar 8, 2015

  2. Derek F

    Mark Guest

    It should be the same address as you used to get the stats before.

    Mark, Mar 8, 2015

  3. Derek F

    Roger Mills Guest

    Do you mean the address which you have to tell RouterStats to enable it
    to talk to your router? If so, you need to use the router's LAN IP
    address - which is likely to be 192.168.1.254

    If not, please explain what you mean. The term "my IP address" can have
    several interpretations. It may mean the router's LAN address (as above)
    or it may mean your PC's LAN address (which will be in the same range
    but will have a different number after the last dot) or it may mean the
    router's WAN address - which is the address allocated to you by PlusNet
    for accessing the external internet. Sorry if this sounds daunting but
    it makes it easier to get help - both here and from your ISP - if you
    have a basic understanding of this stuff. Having said that, many people
    seem to survive without having a clue!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 8, 2015
  4. Anyone who wants a single box solution for VDSL (FTTC, "fibre" or
    "infinity") might consider one of these-

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-880...8&qid=1425810850&sr=8-1&keywords=billion+8800

    I've only had mine for a little more than a week, but it's been rock
    solid so far. It shows more technical info, the sync speed has
    remained constant at about the same as the speed test results I was
    getting with the Openreach/Technicolor combination, and the wireless
    performance is better. It looks neater on its little shelf with only
    one box, and a further benefit I wasn't expecting is that it runs
    practically cold to the touch. I haven't made any detailed
    measurements of power consumption, but one box that stays cold must be
    wasting less energy than two boxes that get warm, mustn't it?

    Apparently it also contains an ADSL modem, so even if you haven't got
    VDSL yet but are thinking about it, you could use this now, and just
    change the configuration on the day. The Openreach engineer would
    probably want to do the initial tests with their own modem, but just
    explain it's not the one you'll be using and don't let him screw it to
    the wall.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Mar 8, 2015
  5. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    Yes, I unplugged it to see if it would help. Between 10 and 11pm I three
    times had a message on the screen that Internet Explorer had stopped
    working. A problem caused the program to stop working. Windows will
    close the program and notify you if a solution is found.
    This has happened again since starting to use the computer at 11.18,
    11.22 and 11.27. and all web sites are taking up to a minute to open.
    The public IP address yesterday showed as 80.229.122.221 but shows today
    as being 146.90.226.27 both show as being owned by Plusnet
    I use Plusnet for phone as well as broadband. The quiet line test was OK.
    DSL link information now shows as:
    Link Information

    Uptime: 0 days, 17:32:04

    DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,167 / 12,407

    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 132.78 / 1.19

    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.7 / 0.0

    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.6 / 35.5

    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 6.3

    System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

    Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

    Loss of Link (Remote): -

    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,302 / 0

    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 1,515

    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 5,553

    From Router Stats68K program
    Uptime: 0 days, 17:33:55 DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,167 / 12,407 Data Transferred
    (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 132.79 / 1.19 Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:
    12.7 / 0.0 Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.6 / 35.5 SN Margin
    (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 6.3 System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB /
    ---- Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN Loss of Framing
    (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of
    Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Link (Remote): - Error Seconds
    (Local/Remote): 1,309 / 0 FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 CRC Errors
    (Up/Down): 1 / 1,520 HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 5,568 generateTasks()

    xdsl info expand=enabled
    Physical Layer Statistics:

    Modem state: up
    Up time (Days hh:mm:ss): 0 days, 17:34:29
    xDSL Standard: ITU-T G.992.5
    xDSL Annex: Annex A
    Channel Mode: Interleaved

    Number of reset: 0

    Chipset Vendor info (G.994.1): Local Remote
    Country code: B500 B500
    ID: BDCM IFTN
    Specific: 0000 71C8

    System Vendor info (showtime): Local Remote
    Country code: 0F00 0000
    ID: TMMB ----
    Specific: 3C61 0000

    Bearers generic info DS US
    Payload rate [Kbps]: 12407 1167
    Attenuation [dB]: 35.5 17.6
    Margins [dB]: 6.3 5.8
    Output power [dBm]: 0.0 12.7

    Number of bearers: 1
    Bearer 0 DS US
    INP [DMT symbols]: 0.00 0.00
    Delay [ms]: 0.14 0.24
    Depth []: 1 0.00
    R: 0 0

    G.997.1 Statistics (Current):

    Failures:
    Line failures Near end
    Loss of signal (LOS): 0
    Loss of frame (LOF): 0
    Loss of power (LPR): 0

    Performance monitoring:
    Line PM: Near end
    Error second (ES): 1311

    Channel PM: Near end Far end
    Bearer 0:
    Code Violation (CV): 1521 1
    FEC: 0 0

    ATM data path PM: Near end Far end
    Bearer 0:
    HEC violation count (HEC): 5568 1

    G.997.1 Statistics (last 15 minutes):

    Failures:
    Line failures Near end
    Loss of signal (LOS): 0
    Loss of frame (LOF): 0
    Loss of power (LPR): 0

    Performance monitoring:
    Line PM: Near end
    Error second (ES): 17

    Channel PM: Near end Far end
    Bearer 0:
    Code Violation (CV): 1521 1
    FEC: 0 0

    ATM data path PM: Near end Far end
    Bearer 0:
    HEC violation count (HEC): 5568 1

    G.997.1 Statistics (last 24 hours):

    Failures:
    Line failures Near end
    Loss of signal (LOS): 0
    Loss of frame (LOF): 0
    Loss of power (LPR): 0

    Performance monitoring:
    Line PM: Near end
    Error second (ES): 1311

    Channel PM: Near end Far end
    Bearer 0:
    Code Violation (CV): 1521 1
    FEC: 0 0

    ATM data path PM: Near end Far end
    Bearer 0:
    HEC violation count (HEC): 5568 1

    Thank you for your time in helping although my lack of knowledge
    probably prevents me answering some of the questions.
    Derek

    Derek F, Mar 8, 2015
  6. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    They are different that is why I asked. Router address is detected by
    Routerstats68K as 192.168.1.254. If I queeried my IP address it showed
    yesterday as 80.229.122.221 and today as 146.90.226.27
    Derek

    Derek F, Mar 8, 2015
  7. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    Yesterday (Honest!) for some reason it would not accept 192.168.1.254
    but today it does.
    Is this data for today of any use? Obviously for most of that time I was
    asleep but I did use the computer for a while at 5am when I got up for
    some cough linctus:)
    I have no idea what the Firewall events relate to.
    Derek
    Mar 8 12:42:39 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.64)

    Info Mar 8 12:24:31 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from
    192.168.1.64)

    Info Mar 8 12:16:56 CONFIGURATION saved by TR69

    Warning Mar 8 12:16:11 PPP link up (Internet) [146.90.226.27]

    Info Mar 8 12:16:11 FIREWALL event (1 of 2): deleted rules

    Info Mar 8 12:16:10 PPP CHAP Receive success (Internet)

    Info Mar 8 12:16:10 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost PTW-AG03
    (Internet)

    Info Mar 8 12:16:10 PPP CHAP Receive challenge from rhost acc-aln1.ea-d
    (Internet)

    Info Mar 8 12:15:57 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): modified rules

    Info Mar 8 12:15:57 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules

    Warning Mar 8 12:15:56 PPP link down (Internet) [80.229.122.221]

    Info Mar 8 12:06:40 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from
    192.168.1.64)

    Info Mar 8 11:56:57 SNTP Synchronised again to server: 212.159.6.9

    Info Mar 8 11:27:52 LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from
    192.168.1.64)

    Error Mar 8 11:07:36 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src
    ip: 88.83.40.208 Dst ip: 80.229.122.221 Type: Destination Unreachable
    Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited

    Error Mar 8 10:58:07 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src
    ip: 123.14.43.237 Dst ip: 80.229.122.221 Type: Destination Unreachable
    Code: Port Unreacheable

    Warning Mar 8 10:57:09 IDS scan parser : tcp port scan: 212.56.73.10
    scanned at least 10 ports at 80.229.122.221. (1 of 2) : 212.56.73.10
    80.229.122.221 40 61 TCP 80->64146 [...R..] seq 1739969549 ack 0 win 0

    Info Mar 8 10:56:57 SNTP Synchronised again to server: 212.159.6.9

    Info Mar 8 09:56:57 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.6.9

    Error Mar 8 09:43:49 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src
    ip: 58.176.174.254 Dst ip: 80.229.122.221 Type: Destination Unreachable
    Code: Port Unreacheable

    Error Mar 8 09:16:45 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src
    ip: 61.102.231.13 Dst ip: 80.229.122.221 Type: Destination Unreachable
    Code: Port Unreacheable

    Info Mar 8 08:56:57 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.50

    Error Mar 8 08:00:46 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src
    ip: 190.114.139.252 Dst ip: 80.229.122.221 Type: Destination Unreachable
    Code: Net Unreacheable

    Info Mar 8 07:56:57 SNTP Synchronised again to server: 212.159.6.9

    Info Mar 8 06:56:56 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.6.9

    Error Mar 8 06:44:18 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src
    ip: 217.18.226.226 Dst ip: 80.229.122.221 Type: Destination Unreachable
    Code: Port Unreacheable

    Error Mar 8 06:36:21 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src
    ip: 186.208.211.2 Dst ip: 80.229.122.221 Type: Time Exceeded Code: Time
    to Live exceeded in Transit

    Warning Mar 8 06:09:26 IDS proto parser : tcp null port (1 of 1) :
    113.108.21.16 80.229.122.221 40 51 TCP 12219->0 [S.....] seq 332457538
    ack 0 win 8192

    Info Mar 8 05:56:56 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.50

    Error Mar 8 05:04:17 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src
    ip: 176.31.183.107 Dst ip: 80.229.122.221 Type: Destination Unreachable
    Code: Port Unreacheable

    Info Mar 8 04:56:56 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.49

    Derek F, Mar 8, 2015
  8. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    That change is since last November?
    Derek

    Derek F, Mar 8, 2015
  9. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    Will do thank you. I wanted to get opinions here on the worsening
    situation before contacting Plusnet. Also someone from Plusnet came on
    and answered some questions around the time I signed up with Plusnet and
    I hoped that he might be around still.
    Derek

    Derek F, Mar 8, 2015
  10. Derek F

    Graham J Guest

    This is a different issue, and is a problem with Internet Explorer on
    your computer. It's very common - far more likely due to IE than your
    computer or internet conneection. It's a good idea to use a different
    browser, either Firefox or Google Chrome - these are less likley to crash.

    [snip]

    Graham J, Mar 8, 2015
  11. Derek F

    Graham J Guest

    The protocol TR-069 is used by Plusnet to manage your router remotely.
    You should ask them exactly to explain.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069

    Probably the rest of the activty follows from that.

    also, look at the time server settings on your router. If its not set
    to something sensible (e.g. ntp.plus.net) then the timestamps in the
    event log will be confusing.

    [snip]

    Graham J, Mar 8, 2015
  12. Derek F

    Roger Mills Guest

    If your Technicolor router is like my old Thomson jobbie (which I no
    longer use because I'm now on FTTC), it will have a menu on the left
    with Home / Thomson(Technicolor) Gateway / Broadband Connection /
    Toolbox / Home Network / Help [Thomson and Technicolor are the same
    company].

    If you click on Broadband Connection, it will bring up two panels - the
    top one being the DSL connection and the bottom one being the current
    PPPoA session - with an Uptime figure for each.

    The DSL connection is the physical connection, and resets every time the
    line drops and re-synchronises. The PPPoA session duration indicates for
    how long you've been logged on to PlusNet's internet gateway. This will
    invariably be shorter than the DSL uptime - sometimes by only a second
    or two, or sometimes by many days. It is common for the PPPoA session to
    drop out even though the physical connection stays up. Unless you're on
    a fixed public IP address, you'll get a different one each time a new
    PPPoA session starts.

    If you are getting frequent drops in service, it's important to know
    whether it's the DSL connection or the PPPoA session which is dropping.

    Incidentally, you mentioned somewhere that Internet Explorer kept
    falling over. This could be (maybe likely is) an IE problem, and nothing
    to do with your internet connection per se. When this happens, are your
    email and usenet clients still working ok? Have you tried any other
    browsers - such as Firefox of Chrome?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 8, 2015
  13. Derek F

    Graham J Guest

    To expand on that - it is NOT common for the PPPoA session to drop out
    other than in the early hours of the morning when BT do their
    maintenance work. A straw poll of some connections I monitor show the
    FTTC services have been up for over 3000 hours, and most of the ADSL
    services up for several hundreds hours. The best ADSL service is from
    Plusnet at nearly 2000 hours.

    If your PPPoA connection drops even though the router remains in sync,
    then take it up with Plusnet.

    However, local lightning strikes will kill almost anything, so ignore
    this during thunderstorms.

    Note sometimes PPPoA is implented as PPPoE even when it is an ADSL
    connection via a built-in modem. This may relate to the exchange equipment.

    [snip]

    Graham J, Mar 8, 2015
  14. Derek F

    Roger Mills Guest

    Maybe common isn't the right word - but it's by no means unknown with
    PN. They fairly often issue bulletins saying that maintenance is being
    performed on some part or other of their network, which will result in
    some customers being temporarily disconnected. As an illustration of
    what I was saying about relative up-times, I've just logged on remotely
    to the router at my holiday property and that says that DSL has been up
    for 130 days and PPPoA for 9 days.
    Well, certainly if it happens frequently without any explanation. And,
    as I said earlier, it's useful to know whether it's the DSL or the
    internet session which is dropping because the causes are likely to be
    different.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 8, 2015
  15. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    I changed to Chrome for a few weeks but web pages still opened slowly.
    Watching live sport online and the picture often freezes, stops and starts.
    We have had the same situation with my wifes computer.
    Derek

    Derek F, Mar 8, 2015
  16. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    This one? From another suggestion I pulled the phone connection out at
    13.04 for a couple of minutes.

    DSL Connection

    View more...

    Uptime: 0 days, 5:19:32

    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,183 / 12,575

    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 169.52 / 1.37

    Internet Connection OK
    Internet

    View more...

    Link Status: IPv4 connected

    IPv6 disconnected

    Type: PPPoA

    Uptime: 0 days, 5:19:23

    IPv4 Address: 87.113.247.185

    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 169.31 / 1.21

    I tried chrome for a few weeks but still had slow opening web pages. We
    have two Humax Youview boxes connected and we frequently get a message
    on TV screens that the internet connection has stopped and then resumed.
    Derek

    Derek F, Mar 8, 2015
  17. Derek F

    Roger Mills Guest

    OK, so it sounds like an internet problem rather than an IE problem. Are
    you running RouterStats all the time, and looking at the graphs it
    produces? On 4 separate graphs you should be able to display downstream
    and upstream synch speeds and noise margins - all against time. If the
    DSL is dropping, the synch speeds and noise margins will all drop to
    zero for a few seconds until the line re-synchronises. If DSL is staying
    up, the graphs won't show anything, but you can see whether the PPP
    session is dropping by looking at the page mentioned above on the router
    - and/or by observing the Internet light on the router if you're near it
    at the time.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Mar 8, 2015
  18. Derek F

    Phil W Lee Guest

    I concur with the advice on the Billion BiPAC 8800NL
    I haven't had a single problem with mine, and I've had it for quite a
    bit longer (6 months now).
    I can confirm that power use is very low, and cooling is aided by the
    upright configuration, which allows air to rise by convection through
    the device. Exact power consumption will vary depending on which
    features you use, how much throughput it has to cope with, how
    complicated firewall rules are, and so on.
    It's also very configurable - mine routes a /29 subnet, which some
    other xDSL routers can't manage (they are only NAT gateways).
    You can even set the DHCP server to issue some or all of your public
    IP addresses dynamically, and reserve specific ones for machines which
    need static IPs.

    So I'd summarise it as a domestic priced modem/router with SME grade
    features, which is about as good as you can expect.
    Even BT sell it (that's where I got mine) so there shouldn't be any
    more ongoing support problems with using it instead of whatever "free"
    modem/router is supplied by default..

    It can be monitored with DSLstats, which is useful, and MyDSLWebstats,
    which is particularly handy if you need to support one at a remote
    site.

    Phil W Lee, Mar 8, 2015
  19. Derek F

    Martin Brown Guest

    It is quite possible the line has gone bad and a TDR line test will show
    that (or temporarily heal the line for a short while).

    It is very wet and windy at the moment so if there is scope for water
    ingress anywhere along an exposed line now is when it will fail.

    Martin Brown, Mar 9, 2015
  20. Derek F

    Martin Brown Guest

    It is the local address of the router on your own network that you want
    ie 192.168...

    The varying place you appear on the internet suggests that you are
    indeed dropping off from time to time and reappearing at a different
    location when reconnected (quite normal). Routerstats should show how
    frequently you are having glitches and losing connection.

    The surprise to me is that if your connection is being so unreliable
    that the SNR margins are still 6dB. Mine can never sustain 6dB and
    usually settles at 9dB (on a long rural line). It has been up to 15dB.

    Martin Brown, Mar 9, 2015