Plusnet again

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Michael R N Dolbear, Oct 11, 2014.

  1. 11/10/2014 @ 17:06

    This afternoon we experienced a large drop in the number of customer
    sessions across our broadband network.

    This will have caused a large volume of customers to lose connectivity to
    the Internet.

    Our network engineers are currently investigating this.

    If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try powering
    off your modem or router for 30 minutes before powering it back up and
    attempting to re-establish a connection to the Internet.
    ==

    Off from 16:30 to 20:00 as far as getting beyond PlusNet pages was
    concerned.

    Michael R N Dolbear, Oct 11, 2014

  2. Michael R N Dolbear

    Kraftee Guest

    One big problem with posting that one here...

    If any Plusnet users are having problems they won't be able to read it.....

    Kraftee, Oct 11, 2014

  3. Unless they've kept an old dial-up connection, or they've got a friend
    on a different ISP.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Oct 11, 2014
  4. Michael R N Dolbear

    Roger Mills Guest

    Unless they've got an alternative means of connection - mobile phone, etc.

    How would *you* advise PN to notify their customers in a way which
    doesn't rely on the PN connection being up?

    As an adise, it makes some sense to have such messages sent to a non-PN
    address. That way, if PN's POP server is down (not the connection, of
    course) you can still receive the messages. Mine go to an old Freeserve
    address.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Oct 11, 2014
  5. Michael R N Dolbear

    Clive Page Guest

    Same here. The initial phone message on 0800 432 0200 said something
    like "a large proportion of our customers are affected". Later this
    changed to a shorter message which didn't any detail at all. The
    dedicated service status line 0800 917 6714 had no messages whatever,
    exactly as it is when the service is working perfectly: I don't know why
    Plusnet bothers to keep the number going it is so useless.

    Clive Page, Oct 11, 2014
  6. Michael R N Dolbear

    Clive Page Guest

    Mobile phone text message?

    Clive Page, Oct 11, 2014
  7. Michael R N Dolbear

    NY Guest

    Yes likewise I get my PN status messages sent to my old Virgin account for
    that very reason. I haven't experienced any problems with my PN connection
    today.

    NY, Oct 11, 2014
  8. "Kraftee" wrote in message

    Which was discussed here in thread [Plusnet:No broadband outage information
    on the Service Status phone no 0800 917 6714] about 2014-09-18

    https://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212

    Telephone response goes whoosh as the problem hits.

    Michael R N Dolbear, Oct 11, 2014
  9. Michael R N Dolbear

    tim..... Guest

    and how many do that

    tim

    tim....., Oct 12, 2014
  10. Michael R N Dolbear

    tim..... Guest

    In a more "obvious" place

    If I were to go to a friend to see if I could find out why my PN BB wasn't
    working, the last place that I would look is via a news server than my
    friend might not even have access to

    tim

    tim....., Oct 12, 2014
  11. <hands up> One here.

    And I haven't even had a paid account with them for many years.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Oct 12, 2014
  12. Michael R N Dolbear

    Mark Carver Guest

    Judging by the fact the Plusnet forum exploded yesterday at 16:00hrs
    with messages saying' My Plusnet Connection Is Dead'; quite a few !

    In fact, that's how I determined the problem as at their end, and not
    mine, opened up the forum on my Smartphone, and saw all the messages
    from panic stricken internet junkies. What happens if something
    genuinely catastrophic occurs in their lives I wonder ?

    Mark Carver, Oct 12, 2014