    But you can find people both here and overseas who don't know the
    phonetic alphabet, and the reason the modern one has been settled on
    is because it works in such a wide variety of accents.

    Phil W Lee, Oct 7, 2014

  2. fred

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Able, Baker, and George are all WW2 period.

    Some others from that time were Dog, Mother, Peter and Zebra

    And back then we didn't have any standardisation between even the UK
    and other Empire countries, never mind the US.
    That's why we came up with a standard.
    Unfortunately, as long as more people learn it from old films instead
    of proper sources, they (and variations from other countries) persist.

    Phil W Lee, Oct 7, 2014

  3. And tech support call centre agents who have to verify passwords and
    unusual names, and instruct their customers to type unfamiliar things
    like "ipconfig".

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Oct 7, 2014
  4. fred

    NY Guest

    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. "Chestnut" is part of my address. I tried
    spelling it as Charlie Hotel Echo Sierra Tango November Uniform Tango but in
    the next reply I received from the company my address contained the word
    Cheftnet. At least the postcode was correct and at least they had actually
    changed the address; I'd visions of it remaining as my old address and my
    Royal Mail redirection was due to run out...

    NY, Oct 7, 2014
  5. fred

    Andy Burns Guest

    Back in the mid-eighties, a colleague was reading back an alphabetic
    licence code to the woman on a supplier's support line

    "A for Alpha", "E for Echo" etc, etc he was doing so well until he
    stumbled and said "Y for Wanky" ...

    Andy Burns, Oct 7, 2014
  6. fred

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, Phil W Lee
    As they say, "The nice thing about standards is that there are so many
    of them".

    Ian Jackson, Oct 7, 2014
  7. fred

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Yes, it was to eliminate that kind of confusion that the current
    NATO/ICAO standard one was developed.

    Phil W Lee, Oct 10, 2014
  8. fred

    Percy Guest

    NATO or International Radiotelephony Spelling Alphabet.

    When I were a lad we used something similar to this:

    Able
    Baker
    Charlie
    Dog
    Easy
    Fox
    George
    How
    Item
    Jig
    King
    Love
    Mike
    Nan
    Oboe
    Peter
    Queen
    Roger
    Sugar
    Tare
    Uncle
    Victor
    William
    X-ray
    Yoke
    Zebra or Zanzibar

    Which apparently is an American Navy Radio Alphabet.

    Percy, Oct 15, 2014
  9. fred

    Jim Guest

    No, that's the old WW-2 alphabet, Brit as far as I
    know. Current until the NATO one was brought in.

    --
    :: Jim, Wessex

    'I fear the day that technology will surpass our human
    interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.'
    -- Albert Einstein

    (Haven't you noticed this?).

    Jim, Oct 18, 2014
  10. fred

    Percy Guest

    No, the American Army and Navy developed it in 1941 and the British
    adopted it in 1943 apparently. I used it for Ham radio until the NATO
    one became more popular.

    Percy, Oct 27, 2014
  11. fred

    Derek F Guest

    A new ladies hairdresser called Hashtag recently opened in Eastbourne.
    Derek

    Derek F, Nov 4, 2014
  12. fred

    polygonum Guest

    Although on ICL VME systems, the time was sometimes extended (with a
    "decimal" point) to express down to microseconds.

    polygonum, Dec 6, 2014
  13. fred

    Bob Eager Guest

    I prefer microfortnights!

    (although I did use VME/K for 3 years before we threw it out)

    Bob Eager, Dec 6, 2014
  14. fred

    Flop Guest

    My personal preference for timescales is 'centuries' as measured by bus
    stops.

    http://www.reading-travelinfo.co.uk/bus/premier-routes.aspx

    "the overwhelming majority of local people live within a few hundred
    years of a bus stop ".

    Flop, Dec 6, 2014
  15. fred

    Davey Guest

    Ah, part of the Furlong/Firkin/Fortnight measurement system.

    Davey, Dec 6, 2014
  16. fred

    Bob Eager Guest

    MY lectures last a microcentury...

    Bob Eager, Dec 6, 2014
  17. fred

    Woody Guest

    Just where do you <find> these things?

    Woody, Dec 6, 2014
  18. fred

    polygonum Guest

    When talking to staff in call centres in a certain very large country,
    they seem to prefer I-Indigo to I-India.

    polygonum, Dec 7, 2014
  19. fred

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Usually along the side of the carriageway, outlined with a dotted line
    painted on the road surface and indicated by a small placard on a
    pole.

    HTH

    Phil W Lee, Dec 7, 2014
  20. fred

    Phil W Lee Guest

    They don't (as a country) appear to have applied for or been granted
    an exception to the ICAO standard in Annexe 10 vol ii (to which they
    are a signatory), so it can't bother them all that much.

    Phil W Lee, Dec 8, 2014