Plusnet - a word to the wise

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by fred, Oct 2, 2014.

  1. Sure.

    Plusnet Support Team, Oct 6, 2014

  2. yes, I've definetely had B for baker used and understood widely.

    And mixtures. Able baker ate george november..(AB8GN)

    The Natural Philosopher, Oct 6, 2014

  3. fred

    chris Guest

    Yup. That's the one I use and know of.
    Seriously. You're going back 70 years, that's hardly relevant in 2014.
    I disagree. Whenever there is confusion of spelling over the phone with
    banks etc. The call centre person is always happy to use the PA. To the
    extent that now I often use it by default - in fact just this morning my
    bank used the PA first over the phone.

    chris, Oct 6, 2014
  4. fred

    chris Guest

    It is also somewhat confusing that the two keys are so close together.
    In overshooting the 'o' I often hit '0'.

    chris, Oct 6, 2014
  5. fred

    chris Guest

    and as always XKCD explains why this is *the* right way:
    http://xkcd.com/1179/

    chris, Oct 6, 2014
  6. fred

    Flop Guest

    Which explains why I had problems on a poor trans-Atlantic phone line.

    I was trying to spell DAVID so started...

    ...Delta, Alpha etc

    when I was interrupted:

    "Is that D, E, L, T, A?"

    [recursive?]

    Flop, Oct 6, 2014
  7. fred

    Peter Able Guest

    That - with Z as Zulu - is the code currently used by NATO, Aviation,
    the ITU etc. etc.

    IMHO it is the best one yet, as all words chosen have quite unique
    structures, i.e. there is no belta, pelta, yovember, gomeo, aniform etc.

    The PC brigade have it in their sights though, as illustrated by the
    foolish pronunciation of Quebec as though it started with a K.

    For a history of some of the past efforts - some quite barmy - see

    http://ilrc.cas.muohio.edu/meyersde/kitchensink/alphabets/

    PA (Peter Able - who else?)

    Peter Able, Oct 6, 2014
  8. fred

    NY Guest

    Likewise I was giving my new address to an American company whose mailing
    list I'm on. I could not find any way of doing it my email or web, so I had
    to make a reverse-charge (collect) call to the USA - after checking with the
    BT operator that "collect" really did apply to transatlantic calls.

    The woman that I spoke to had a strong Hispanic-American accent (and I dare
    say my English accent was equally strange to her) so when I was giving her
    the address, I spelled it out. I tried simple letters but she was
    mis-hearing each one so I used the PA. This was even worse - she couldn't
    recognise the words I was saying to extract the first letter from each. I
    did my best but "Chestnut" mutated into "Chefnet". At least "uniform" didn't
    become a "Y" - as in "yuniform" :)

    NY, Oct 6, 2014
  9. fred

    Woody Guest

    Ah, Easy - I forgot that one!

    Woody, Oct 6, 2014
  10. fred

    Woody Guest

    I've done that for years as I only use telephone banking.

    My postocde ends HB so I usually say Heinz Beans which most
    British natives well understand and it usually causes a
    laugh. Don't ever try it when talking to BT Bangalore
    though!

    Woody, Oct 6, 2014
  11. fred

    Jerry Brown Guest

    Knight for K
    Pteradactyl or Psychiatrist for P
    Xerxes for X

    Jerry Brown, Oct 6, 2014
  12. fred

    Jerry Brown Guest

    I was expecting that to include "13058" (2 digit year + no of days
    into year), or was that unique to my (nineties) employer's IBM coding
    standards?

    Jerry Brown, Oct 6, 2014
  13. fred

    Flop Guest

    Still there. But, properly, YYYY(-)DDD

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

    Under "Ordinal Date"

    Described as for "simple hardware systems" but then continues with an
    explanation that probably needs a Cray to decipher.

    Flop, Oct 6, 2014
  14. fred

    chris Guest

    :)

    chris, Oct 6, 2014
  15. Well, when _I_ learned the Nato phonetic alphabet it had L for Lima in
    it. Or is that Lemur? I never cared...

    And IIRC Able Baker Charlie Dog Easy Fox was the WWII RAF one. I don't
    know it all.

    Andy

    Vir Campestris, Oct 6, 2014
  16. "NY" wrote

    Montreal. The only international alphabet that I'm aware of is

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

    German and Swedish

    In German and Swedish, Alfa-Alfa (aa) is used for ⟨å⟩, Alfa-Echo (ae) for
    ⟨ä⟩, Oscar-Echo (oe) for ⟨ö⟩, Sierra-Sierra (ss) for ⟨ß⟩, and Uniform-Echo
    (ue) for ⟨ü⟩.[25]
    Danish and Norwegian

    In Danish and Norwegian the letters ⟨æ⟩, ⟨ø⟩ and ⟨å⟩ have their own code
    words. In Danish Ægir, Ødis and Åse represent the three letters,[26] while
    in Norwegian the three code words are Ægir, Ørnulf and Ågot for civilians
    and Ærlig, Østen and Åse for military personnel.[27]

    Michael R N Dolbear, Oct 6, 2014
  17. fred

    Phil W Lee Guest

    The current one, as used in shipping, aviation an the (English
    speaking) military.

    Phil W Lee, Oct 7, 2014
  18. fred

    Phil W Lee Guest

    So are you apparently.
    M = Mike.

    Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India,
    Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quecec, Romeo,
    Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whisky, X-Ray, Yankee, Zulu.

    Zero, Wun, Too, Tree, Fower, Fife, Six, Seven, Ait, Niner.

    Phil W Lee, Oct 7, 2014
  19. fred

    Phil W Lee Guest

    And every single trained operator of a radio in aviation and maritime
    use, which includes all pilots and air traffic controllers, the
    coastguard, etc.
    You mean errors.
    You mean screwed it up.
    There is only one international standard for the Phonetic Alphabet in
    English.

    The other local variations are by definition, not standard.
    Even the 'merkins use the standard for anything international
    (aviation, military, shipping).

    Phil W Lee, Oct 7, 2014
  20. fred

    Phil W Lee Guest

    The same thing can happen when talking to people in the UK by phone as
    well though - or India, for that matter.

    Which underlines the need to teach the (correct) PA in schools.
    And not just here.
    I never had that problem any worse when communicating with the US,
    despite traveling there on business a number of times, providing IT
    support to offices over there by phone, and gaining an Airman's
    Certificate (their version of my UK Private Pilots License) over
    there.

    Phil W Lee, Oct 7, 2014