    and not:

    <username>@+dsl.net

    So simple . . . . .

    fred, Oct 2, 2014

  2. fred

    Graham. Guest

    I have to call a young woman for passwords ocasionally and I have
    learned that the symbol you and I know as "hash" and Americans call
    "Poundsign" is known by this young person as "hashtag".

    Graham., Oct 2, 2014

  3. fred

    Graham J Guest

    A musician would call it a "sharp" sign

    Graham J, Oct 2, 2014
  4. fred

    NY Guest

    I'd known the character as a hash right from when I learned BASIC ("open #1"
    command) in the mid 70s. It was only very recently that I learned that it's
    sometimes known as the pound sign in the USA - I presume that's pound
    weight, so maybe they don't use the abbreviation "lb" for pound weight.

    It's interesting that it's the non-American usage which has given its name
    to the hashtag, though poundtag might be more of a mouthful. At least we
    were spared "octothorptag" :) ("Octothorp", because the sign has eight
    "legs", is another name for it, in the telecoms industry.)

    NY, Oct 3, 2014
  5. fred

    Graham J Guest

    Number

    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

    Graham J, Oct 3, 2014
  6. fred

    Peter Able Guest

    He might - but then we all make mistakes :)

    PA

    Peter Able, Oct 3, 2014
  7. That's a new one to me, although I always spell the word 'plus' when
    guiding friends/family/referrals through the process.

    Plusnet Support Team, Oct 3, 2014
  8. fred

    Woody Guest

    Bob
    Any chance you can contact me off net - I could do with a
    bit of professional advice?

    Woody, Oct 3, 2014
  9. "Plusnet Support Team" wrote
    guiding friends/family/referrals through the process.

    If you are collecting Plusnet related errors I have just solved one of my
    own creation.

    I had my email addie as @Myuserid.plus.net and it is actually
    @Myuserid.plus.com

    Michael R N Dolbear, Oct 3, 2014
  10. fred

    Bob Eager Guest

    My son just pointed out that THUS is a hastgag, clearly:

    <#>

    Bob Eager, Oct 3, 2014
  11. fred

    Mark Carver Guest

    A gave a girl in a phone shop a migration code on a Post-It sticker.
    I'd written 0 with a line through it to distinguish it from a letter 'O'

    She missed out the digit completely, thinking it was simply crossed out.

    Mark Carver, Oct 4, 2014
  12. fred

    fred Guest

    Yep, had that a few times, non techies just don't get it.

    fred, Oct 4, 2014
  13. fred

    fred Guest

    I shall pass that along to the party concerned, a first even for PN
    support ;-)

    It didn't even cross my mind to check it, even though I've had to spell
    out ipconfig and say, 'no, all one word' more times than I care to
    remember.

    Lesson learned.

    fred, Oct 4, 2014
  14. fred

    Woody Guest

    Not techies at all - the crossed zero (and for that matter
    the crossed 7 as well) are almost universal across Europe,
    just not in the UK.

    Woody, Oct 4, 2014
  15. fred

    Graham J Guest

    I think BT do it deliberately - they use a font that confuses the figure
    zero with the upper case letter O, and the figure 1 with the lower case
    letter l - this is so they can tell you the migration code is invalid ...

    Graham J, Oct 4, 2014
  16. fred

    Davey Guest

    A few years ago, a policeman in the Detroit area of Michigan refused to
    stop crossing his '7', and was nearly fired because of it, a sit was
    deemed to be confusing to the other cops.

    Davey, Oct 4, 2014
  17. fred

    NY Guest

    I've not seen a crossed zero in general usage (eg in handwriting) in German
    and French, though I'm very familiar with the crossed seven and the one with
    a long tail on it so it looks almost like an upside-down V.

    As a techie, I often write a zero with a line through it to avoid ambiguity
    in a situation where context doesn't make it obvious that it's a zero in a
    string of digits or an O in a string of letters. Likewise I usually cross a
    z or Z to distinguish it from a 2, and write a letter I with obvious
    horizontal strokes top and bottom. And obviously a crossed 7.

    Because I'm wise to US date format, I don't write dates as 4/3/14 but as 4
    Mar 14 to avoid any possible ambiguity.

    Thinking of crossed sevens, I knew a woman at university called Fiona who
    once received a letter addressed to 7iona because someone had written her
    name down with a handwritten capital F in the form of a crossed 7 (a very
    weird, rather old-fashioned way of handwriting the letter) and whoever had
    entered this into an address database had transcribed exactly what they'd
    read, without passing it through their brain!

    NY, Oct 4, 2014
  18. fred

    Peter Able Guest

    Gosh, you make me feel old! That is the way we were taught to write a
    capital F in "joined up" writing. The cross looked like a 270 degree
    pig's tail.

    As for crossed 7s, they been the stock-in-trade for spy films for years. :)

    [Think "Went The Day Well"]

    PA

    Peter Able, Oct 4, 2014
  19. fred

    Flop Guest

    The 'techie' format, which I love, is YYYYMMDD.

    This is ISO 8601 and can include separators eg YYYY-MM-DD

    It is unambiguous, compact, can be expanded to include time [ YYYYMMDD
    HHMMSS ] and is ideal for computer filing as it will order chronologically.

    So, now is 20141005 093830.

    Flop, Oct 5, 2014
  20. fred

    tim..... Guest

    wrongly counting with the fingers works much better :)

    tim

    tim....., Oct 5, 2014