    make sure I buy the right one. The laptop is XP Pro.

    Thanks

    Paul

    Scooby, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Scooby

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Scooby typed:
    TV displays won't, generally, produce a decent computer picture. They work
    on a different principle and the signal needs de-coding, hence the
    requirement, as you say, for a graphics card with TV-out on it. The display
    produced is still not brilliant, but may be acceptable, depends what you
    want to do with it. For presentations and relativelt static displays this
    is OK, to show movies or DVD's then a lot depends on the quality of the
    TV-out etc..

    Best bet is to go to a TV shop with the laptop and cable and see if they'll
    let you try it using some TV's to get a feel for the best for what you want.
    I've done this myself for a friend and most shops will do this.

    Paul - xxx, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Scooby

    Scooby Guest

    Thanks.

    The main resean for me wanted to do this is to display Windows Media Player
    and play MP3's. The headphone jack on laptop will go in an input on the 5.1
    sound system. I don't expect this is very demanding, but the problem is
    there is no tv-out on the laptop! Only an 's' output. Unless maybe there
    is a gadget that converts s into tv-out?

    Scooby, Jun 26, 2004
  4. You tongueless, ill-breeding headache.

    britishbull, the woman who is employed to suckle t, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Scooby

    ProfGene Guest

    I haven't bought one lately but not all laptops can be opened up to add
    things like graphics cards and it seems they would be more likely to use
    onboard chips than cards because of the space saving features and I don't
    know if these can be upgraded.

    ProfGene, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Scooby

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Scooby typed:
    So visit a TV shop .. there are TV's that have 's' inputs .. I guess a lot
    depends on what you want to spend ..
    Maybe, I dunno .. visit a TV shop or a computer shop .. or website ... ;)

    Paul - xxx, Jun 26, 2004