Plese Help - NSW 2003 Pro Uninstall Has Replaced Folders With Gobbledy-Gook File Names :(

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GoLeafsGo, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. GoLeafsGo

    GoLeafsGo Guest

    Hi:

    I hope someone has seen this behaviour before....I did a manual uninstall
    of NSW2003 because a regular uninstall didn't fully complete. I followed
    instructions from Symantec as to how to do this.

    After doing so, my boot drive C: was OK but my "storage" drive D now has
    none of my original folders showing (I had 100+ Gigs of SHN, APE, FLAC
    and MP3 albums all in individual folders) - they have been replaced by
    hundreds of little individual files with sizes between 1 KB and 7 KB. I
    am not sure if the number of these little files corresponds to the number
    of Folders I originally had. All of these little files have very strange
    names: a vertical bar either by itself or preceded by either an
    alphabetical character, or by a symbol...symbols like you would see if
    you opened Character Map for a Dingbat or Wingding font. Some of these
    files have double vertical bars / and or characters preceding them.

    I also have 3 of these weird files that are each exactly 262,144 KB,
    although when checking Properties,they are indicated as being zero file
    size.

    The TIME stamp on these files are all 12:00 AM, the DAY stamps are almost
    exclusively 1, 7, 15, 23, or 31....weird eh! The Year ranges from 1980
    to 1994. All I have ever used this drive for is storage of audio
    files....no software installs. I am unable to copy any of these files or
    e-mail to someone so that they can have a look at them. I get a "Cannot
    copy file: File system error (1026)" error message when trying to copy to
    another drive or media.

    Another weird thing is that even though the sum total of all these files
    adds up to almost nothing (even though Explorer reports file sizes of 1
    to 8KB, Properties of each of these files shows Zero size), Windows
    Explorer still shows that I have only 1.93 Gigs of space left of the
    original 120 Gigs (which is accurate) - this suggests to me that my
    original data is still on the disc, just not accessible.

    I am hopeful that I can reclaim all my data, but I am not sure how to
    proceed....should I try:

    - Running Norton Utilities directly from the CD
    - Reinstall NSW 2003 and run the Utilities (kinda scared to install
    again)
    - try some other recovery program.....

    Could I please call on the collective brain-power of everyone here to
    help with a solution, or am I SOL (Sh*t Outa Luck) regarding ever seeing
    my lovely data ever again ?

    I have NOT attached a screen cap of my Explorer Window because I don't
    see anyone else posting attachments, but I could post to a Test group if
    anyone thinks it would be useful in diagnosing what's going on.

    Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom, and huge thanks if anyone
    can offer some words of reassurance and a (hopefully easy) fix. Also, if
    more information is necessary, please let me know and I will type it up.

    Catchya later,

    GoLeafsGo

    GoLeafsGo, Jan 26, 2004

  2. GoLeafsGo

    ñKs Guest

    Which OS?

    ñKs, Jan 26, 2004

  3. GoLeafsGo

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 26, 2004
  4. GoLeafsGo

    GoLeafsGo Guest

    Hi, I should have said that it's Win 98 SE.

    GLG

    GoLeafsGo, Jan 26, 2004
  5. GoLeafsGo

    GoLeafsGo Guest

    Hi Mike:

    Thanks for the links. I checked them out, but unfortunately they doin't
    really apply, as I still show 1.93 Gigs free, which is the same as when all
    my folders were still intact and all showing.

    Hmmmm...just wondering if there is some kind of reliable and
    inexpensive/free data recovery tool that might easily see and be able to
    correct this particular problem. I realize that not all recovery tools
    would work in the same way, and that there must be a fair number of
    different types of data / file system screw-ups that not all tools would
    recognize and/or be able to reverse.

    I have bitten off all my finger nails and am now considering my toes...I
    hpe it doesn't come to that.

    Oh, BTW, I am running Win 98 SE.

    I will try Scandisc a little later this evening....so, there's no way that
    Scandisc can possibly make things worse....right?....as long as I tell it
    not to attempt any fixes?

    Thanks for your input.....if Scandisc doesn't help, I'm hoping that you or
    another Group member might have a brainstorm :)

    Catchya later,

    GoLeafsGo

    GoLeafsGo, Jan 27, 2004
  6. GoLeafsGo

    °Mike° Guest

    Scandisk has a *very* good chance of making things worse, but
    *only* if you allow it to automatically fix things. What you are
    looking for is for Scandisk to tell you if it finds anything wrong.
    You can deal with any repairs that might be needed, once you
    have an idea of what the problem is.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jan 27, 2004
  7. GoLeafsGo

    Boomer Guest

    I didn't know that. I have Win 98 and have the 'Automatically Fix' box
    checked.

    Guess I've been lucky with all the thing I do with this machine.
    <wipes brow>

    Thank, Mike.

    Boomer, Jan 27, 2004
  8. GoLeafsGo

    °Mike° Guest

    In general, that is fine. But if you have, say, bad sectors on your
    disk, scandisk *will* makes things worse. That's what GoLeafsGo
    needs to determine. If it's just a matter of lost clusters, because
    of a bad shutdown, for instance, it's usually ok to let scandisk fix
    things. I always set scandisk to delete any lost clusters, as opposed
    to saving to file, as recovery is a royal pain in the neck. Only if
    the data was extremely important, would I even bother.
    You carry on as you are. :)
    YW.

    °Mike°, Jan 27, 2004
  9. GoLeafsGo

    Boomer Guest

    <unwipes brow> Phew! You had me scared for a sec.

    I shall carry on as usual. ;)

    Boomer, Jan 27, 2004
  10. GoLeafsGo

    ñKs Guest

    Try scanreg /restore, go back a few days.

    ñKs, Jan 27, 2004
  11. GoLeafsGo

    GoLeafsGo Guest

    Hi again gang:

    I started Scandisc, but since I told it not to fix things automatically,
    everytime it found something funny (which it did) with all the weird
    little files on my storage D: drive, it interrupted the process for user
    intervention in order to continue....since I have 900+ of these files on
    my D, I could be clicking "Ignore and continue", then OK all night :) Is
    there something else I could try?

    Thanks for yer help thusfar,

    GoLeafsGo

    GoLeafsGo, Jan 27, 2004
  12. GoLeafsGo

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:29:54 -0600, in
    <[email protected]>
    GoLeafsGo scrawled:

    Well, what information *did* it give you?

    °Mike°, Jan 27, 2004
  13. GoLeafsGo

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Sounds to me like you have entensive FAT corruption. The fact that NSW
    uninstall coincided with the events you describe does not mean it
    caused the probs. The auto uninstall _might_ have simply coincided
    with your system going haywire and sufference in consequence.

    [snip]
    You can try this:

    http://free-backup-software.net/data-recovery.htm

    I've never tried PC File Inspector though.

    Ultimately I think you have little alternative but to let SCANDISK or
    something similar (Norton Disk Doctor for example) fix any logical
    errors on your disk if you want to get a usable disk back (provided D:
    has no surface defects).

    scandisk d: /autofix

    will fix all without your intervention, but try the data recovery
    FIRST.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jan 28, 2004