please suggest a camera for this application

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chibitul, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. chibitul

    chibitul Guest

    Hi, I would like to get a digital camera for a very specific
    application: i need to photograph some little objects 50mm x 20mm x
    50mm. The width (50mm) should fill the frame as much as possible, some
    cropping is OK. The height will of course automatically fit into the
    frame in this case. I would also like to photograps from about 500 mm
    distance (10 times the width/depth of the object) so that I minimize
    distortions. Actually as long as distortions are the same it doesn't
    matter. I have the software to compare these objects, so uniform
    distorion is not an issue. but I do not want excessive distortion :)

    The camera needs to have manual settings. I will build a "working
    station" where the operator puts the object (into a sort of support),
    turns on the lighting and snaps the picture. The idea is to make it fool
    proof and repeatable.

    I do not need more that 1000 pixels for horisontal. so I am thinking of
    a Canon A60, 1600 x 1200. This will allow some cropping, and I can also
    use manual settings, even manual focus, and black/white straight out of
    the camera. What I am not sure though is if the maximum zoom (105 mm
    equivalent ?) of A60 is enough to ensure that I coved at least 1000
    pixels (out of 1600) when the 50 mm object is placed at 500 mm distance.

    Do I need another camera? which one? I'd like to keep it cheap and
    simple. Thanks.

    chibitul, Aug 1, 2004

  2. chibitul

    Duffer Guest

    Yes. You need a tiny, tiny camera to take tiny shots. Maybe one of those
    spy cameras.

    Duffer, Aug 1, 2004