    Can you folks give me any advise on how to *Delete* windows messaging.
    It is not in add/delete,I just can not seem to find where its hang out is.
    many thx,Fred

    fred, Jul 6, 2003

  2. fred

    °Mike° Guest

    I don't think it can be uninstalled, but it can be disabled.

    <Canned response>

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' dropdown, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q330904

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q302089

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    °Mike°, Jul 6, 2003

  3. You need to uninstall by using the Windows CD.

    John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions, Jul 6, 2003
  4. fred

    N.E.W.S. Guest

    In preferences I'm pretty sure you can set it to not log in everytime you
    start your mail client.

    This will disable it....

    N.E.W.S., Jul 7, 2003
  5. fred

    UnderDog Guest

    For Windows 2000 and XP

    Click on Start
    Click Run
    Type: services.msc
    Hit Enter
    Double-click on Messenger
    Find Service status and select stop
    Click the scroll down box in Startup type, choose Disabled
    Click OK.

    For Windows 95, 98, and ME

    Click on Start
    Select Settings