    approx. 30 minutes and all of a sudden, the PC shut off. If I try to reboot,
    it cuts off about 3 seconds after pressing the power button. Please help.

    Thanks so much,

    Kevin M, Oct 9, 2005

  2. Kevin M

    JD Guest

    there's a couple of things you should check / do .. Is your power supply
    up to the job ? have you plugged in the 24 pin molex and 4 pin power to
    the board ? .. have you connected the cpu fan ? if you've tried to
    overclock it you might have to reset your cmos (disconnect power
    first!!) also check all the components are seated properly.

    JD, Oct 9, 2005

  3. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    My power supply should be sufficient (Antec 24-pin 550). Yes, I have
    connected the 24-pin and 4 pin to the MB, I did not overclock and I have
    checked all of my devices to make sure they are seated well.

    Thanks so much,

    Kevin

    Kevin M, Oct 9, 2005
  4. Kevin M

    Ish Taylor Guest

    Try another power supply. I once had a new power supply that would shut down
    shortly after it was turned on.

    Ish Taylor, Oct 9, 2005
  5. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    Thanks Ish, I've already tried that. Also tried a different video card.
    Nothing seems to make a difference. I don't get any beeps or video output.

    Kevin M, Oct 9, 2005
  6. Kevin M

    G.Smith Guest

    Sounds like a heat problem.

    Make sure your cpu heatsink is seated properly.

    G.Smith, Oct 9, 2005
  7. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    Prior to any problems, the CPU temp was around 42 cel. I did remove the fan
    and put it back, but it didn't help.

    Thanks

    Kevin M, Oct 9, 2005
  8. Kevin M

    Ish Taylor Guest

    After it shuts off do the fans still run? If I had that problem I would take
    the system board out of the case and set it up on the bag it came in. Remove
    all adaptors except the video card, connect the power supply, monitor, and
    keyboard. To turn it on and off rig some kind of momentary contact switch
    connected to the MB power on pins. No hard drive, floppy or cd. If it does
    not post then you know that it is the power supply, RAM, possessor, or
    system board. If it does post turn it off and add your other cards, drives,
    etc one at a time till you find the one that it will not post with. The
    reason I say take the mobo out of the case is that you could have a short
    under the board, i. e. some part of the case touching some part of the
    board. It's happened to me.

    Ish Taylor, Oct 9, 2005
  9. Kevin M

    JD Guest

    you didnt say if you tried clearing the cmos or not ?

    JD, Oct 9, 2005
  10. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    Update:
    I cleared or reset the CMOS settings for the second time, and now the PC
    stays on but it does not post and there is no ouput to the screen. I have
    tried removing all the devices, I've tried a different Power Supply. I'm to
    the point to where I think I have a defective board or processor. I just
    have no way to determine which.

    Thanks

    Kevin M, Oct 9, 2005
  11. Kevin M

    JD Guest

    have you tried what "Ish Taylor" suggested ? (taking the components out
    and running the minimum hardwear it takes to boot) that's what I usualy
    do before putting the components in the case. I once had a pc do the
    same thing, turned out a motherboard mount was in the wrong place and it
    was touching the circuit board underneath.

    JD, Oct 9, 2005
  12. Kevin M

    JD Guest

    the cpu should not get damaged by overheating the AMD's have a thermal
    cut-off built into them to prevent such things (unless you override it
    on the motherboard)

    JD, Oct 9, 2005
  13. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    I have not tried this yey, but it will be my next step.

    Thanks

    Kevin M, Oct 9, 2005
  14. Kevin M

    JD Guest

    you don't need to rig up a switch .. you can use a flat blade
    screwdriver and connect the power switch (light green, on the panel
    connectors marked pwr (ASUS A8N-SLI Premium))

    JD, Oct 9, 2005
  15. Kevin M

    Ish Taylor Guest

    Yes, you can short the pins, I have done it many times, but once I did and
    the screw driver sliped and touched something else and after that it would
    not post. It may or may not be the cause, but now I always rig up
    something even if it's just two wires that I can touch togather. Sort of
    like buying cheep insurance. Keep tools and metal objects away from the
    board when it's hot.

    Ish Taylor, Oct 9, 2005
  16. Kevin M

    nos1eep Guest

    There are tiny plastic spacers and standoffs that came with the screws
    to attach your mobo. These insulators need to be put between the mobo
    and case to prevent shorts.
    __

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Oct 9, 2005
  17. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    OK. Removed everything from case and placed on cardboard box. Still presents
    same symptoms. Even tried without memory, video card and hard drive. It
    either comes on and shuts off OR it stayes on but never posts.

    Thanks again

    Kevin M, Oct 9, 2005
  18. Kevin M

    JD Guest

    Try it with only CPU (heatsink & Fan), GFX card and one Slot of memory
    no hard drives, cd-roms or sound cards .. only the minimum components to
    boot. but its realy starting to sound like your cpu or mobo is dead ..
    if you had access to a post reader that might narrow it down more.

    JD, Oct 9, 2005
  19. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    Thanks, I did try it as you suggested but only to get the same results. I'm
    sure at this point it has to be the motherboard or processor. I wish I could
    figure out which one.

    Many thanks

    Kevin M, Oct 9, 2005
  20. Kevin M