please HELP with some Basic Color Matching questions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dtn, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. dtn

    dtn Guest

    I've scowered the postings on printing digital photos and I find it
    all so rediculously confusing. There are so many terms about "color
    spaces" sRGB and some kind of vector space CYM something something...
    and references to one's Gamma but not specifically refering to the
    Monitor's Gamma or the video cards Gamma. And furthermore there is the
    Gamma setting in Desktop->Advanced->color and the Gamma settings in
    some secret option in at least Paint Shop Pro, which one do you set?
    And why do you have 3 in Paint Shop Pro and only one in Windows?

    And worst of all I think I see references to color temperature D50
    D65? I really have little idea what this stuff is. What is it?

    I would like to simply print my photos at Costco. I know great prints
    are possible but HOW to give them a JEPG or a TIFF file that will tell
    their printer the colors I want to see I find completely elusive.
    (Not to mention any tiff from Paint Shop Pro isn't readable from their
    computer but other people's TIFFs are readable? Why is that?)

    I can get an .ICM file of the printer at Costco but how do I use it?

    I'm also getting the picture that the world only uses Adobe Photoshop
    for real printing is Paint Shop Pro just useless when it comes to
    printing accurate color?

    I'm using Windows98
    I take pictures using a Cannon G5
    My Monitor is an ImageQuest Q770 Monitor

    I tend to set the Contrast to MAX the brightness to MIN
    The Color Mode to USER with R:89 G:70 B:70 (the other Choices are 6500
    and 9300). 6500 just makes everything look yellow so why would anyone
    use it? Is this 6500 the D65 I see in some postings?

    I tend to edit my photos in Paint Shop Pro 8. I'm generally satisfied
    with the color I see ON THE MONITOR with these settings from my
    digital camera but for printing at Costco, the color only works out if
    I take my photo and tweak them making them reder first

    Any help at all in getting through the color matching processes that
    also defines non layman terms along the way would be very useful!!

    Specifically how do you install a printer file like, one for a printer
    at Costco, into your system? Does it have to be installed or plugged
    into your software program? Do you have to create 'a virtual printer'
    Does Paintshop Pro support this? (I couldn't care less about using my
    attached printer)

    What is the cheapest way to calibrate your Monitor? Does calibration
    result in a .ICM file? or just a Gamma number? What is the correct
    probably more expensive way to calibrate your Monitor?

    Do you have to set your Monitor at an awfull color setting like '6500'
    to have any hope of getting good prints or of calibrating your
    monitor/printer?

    Like I said before is Paint Shop Pro not so Pro and just hit or miss
    as far as color rendering does one have to fork in the money to buy
    Adobe Photoshop to have any hope of getting colors right?

    Thanks very much in advance for reading and answering this somewhat
    ranty post.

    dtn, Jul 16, 2004

  2. dtn

    mch42 Guest

    I think you may want to read something like
    http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/How_to/o_Color_Management/_Color_management.html
    or http://digitaldog.imagingrevue.com/tips/index.shtml or at least the parts
    of it that you find interesting. Those sites give you the basics of color
    management, as well as the nitty-gritty details if you care. Should also
    tell you how to install profiles, calibrate your monitor, etc etc.

    Basically, in order to get good looking prints, you need to do this: When
    your monitor is somewhat accurately calibrated using a software that
    produces an ICM for it (atleast one software/method described on the page I
    linked), and your pictures are looking fine on screen, you need to convert
    your image to profile of the specific printer that you're gonna use (be it
    Costco or a cheap inkjet). I don't know how good PSP is at color management,
    but with Photoshop it's a breeze. This profile conversion will adjust the
    colors of the image so that they come out right on the printer. If you fail
    to do this step, your prints will always suck.

    The thing to realize is that your picture is likely to be in a clearly
    specificied color space such as sRGB or Adobe RGB. Your monitor, however,
    has a color space of its own (hopefully known by the manufacturer). And,
    again, the printer has one of its own. So when your photo editing software
    displays an image on screen, the image data needs to be remapped from the
    image file's working space (say, sRGB), to that of your monitor (defined in
    its ICM file) before the image is displayed. Likewise, when the image is
    printed, it need to be remapped into the color space of the printer. All
    this is only coming to reality if your software understands color
    management. Photoshop is pretty good at that, whereas pretty much all other
    normal Windows software is not. (When you view an image in Internet Explorer
    it's going to look different than when viewed in Photoshop, simply because
    IE skips the phase of mapping the image data to the profile of your monitor.
    That, for some people, tends to feel very weird indeed, but once you get
    your head warped around the idea for *why* that is being done, it feels like
    a walk in the park.)

    All this color management hazzle would be completely unnecessary if all your
    images where in sRGB space, your monitor would comply 100% to the sRGB
    specs, and the printer would do the same. However, that's hardly ever the
    reality...

    Have fun :)

    mch42, Jul 16, 2004

  3. hmmm I don't know if it is connected but a friend of mine had some prints
    of digital images from the same source and every print had a clear and
    obvious pink-brown hue

    Can't they ask a service team to advise?

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 16, 2004
  4. dtn

    mark_digital Guest

    I've scowered the postings on printing digital photos and I find it
    all so rediculously confusing.
    -----------------------------
    -----------------------------
    -----------------------------
    Print directly from your storage media. Select one or two images
    that have come directly from your camera you feel represent good
    color and exposure. Please don't use any image that has been altered.

    I use gamma 2.2 / white point std illuminate A / primaries P22-EBU
    and "Display using monitor compensation" ticked. I have almost a
    perfect match for color and exposure between monitor and CVS's
    wet develop printer. Should I decide to print my own, then for the
    print dialogue I select RGB and "use printer color management".

    Here's something interesting too. Occassionaly I have to desaturate
    an image because it's too far gone to remain in color. The settings
    I mention above work superbly. I do not change RGB to print in
    greyscale.

    sRGB used to work for me when we had a different camera and
    a different older monitor.

    mark_

    mark_digital, Jul 16, 2004