    I managed to change that so I can now receive phone calls as normal.

    Please please help! I think I went into a site containing virus. And i am
    getting the effect of this virus.

    amy, Feb 25, 2004

  2. amy

    Harrison Guest

    STOP clicking OK on every pop-up you see.

    Download, install, update, and run the following programs:
    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

    The first two find and root out spyware, adware, hijackers, and dialers.
    The third one will protect your system from further infection by such diseases.

    Download and run hijackthis from http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
    Post back here with your log file if you do not understand what needs to be removed.

    Harrison, Feb 25, 2004

  3. amy

    Peter Guest

    Amy: let me reinforce the above comment.

    When you see a "do you want to download and install xxxx" and even if it has
    a certificate (from a company you don't recognize), click NO.

    If it says that you have to click YES to get whatever info you want, click
    NO and try to close the box.

    If the box won't close, do ctrl - alt- del and close internet explorer
    completely and start again but don't bother going back to that site.

    The last (and only) time I clicked YES, the program loaded several dozen
    pieces of spyware and garbage onto my computer (and you won't believe the
    things it put in FAVORITES). It took several run throughs with the above
    cited software plus an uninstal of some programs in the control panel plus a
    manual examination of every program in the program files to get rid of
    everything.

    Clicking YES can do an inordinate amount of damage. Don't do it.

    Just my opinion.

    Peter, Feb 25, 2004
  4. amy

    amy Guest

    Thanks for your advice. I will give them a try. Much appreciated!!

    But I really didn't click YES. When I went on a site trying to download a
    MP3 song, my antivirus sofware detected a virus. Then I started to get all
    sort of trouble. I remembered to reject all cookies and turned off any
    pop-ups by clicking on the top right "X" of all pop-up windows. So I didn't
    click YES. Still, I must be extra careful in the future when entering dodgy
    sites. Thanks very much for your help.

    Amy

    amy, Feb 25, 2004
  5. amy

    Pine Guest

    Should be simple enough. Get both adaware and spybot (both free and
    available at download.com) and run them. Bet one or the other takes it righ
    out for you.

    If you believe you also have a hirus and you don't have an anitvirus package
    go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com where there is a free online virus
    scanner.

    Pine, Feb 25, 2004
  6. amy

    Peter Guest

    What is your AV software instructed to do if it finds a virus?

    It sounds like the virus got into your computer even though it was detected.

    Check your AV options. Make sure that the most stringent alternatives are
    checked.

    Peter, Feb 25, 2004
  7. amy

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Spybot S&D.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Feb 26, 2004
  8. amy

    Barry OGrady Guest

    It's a very wise opinion.
    Some sites will try anything to get people to load their junk.
    Some of them try to convince people they must click yes to use their web site.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Feb 26, 2004
  9. amy

    amy Guest

    Thanks Harrison and guys!! My computer is now "clean". I downloaded the
    Spybot and it worked perfectly. I am going to download SpywareBlaster next
    to protect future attacks. Thank you very very much!!

    be removed.

    amy, Feb 26, 2004