Please help me with a Firefox Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by secondperiod, May 12, 2006.

  1. secondperiod

    secondperiod

    Joined:
    May 12, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm running Firefox in Windows XP Pro.

    I tried to download a file, and it locked up my computer so I restarted, and since that restart, Firefox has been weird.

    *None of my engines are showing up in the search bar (the drop-down menu is totally gone)

    *My toobar customizations are gone (if I try to add the "new tab" button, for instance, it will be gone the next time I run the browser)

    *When I close and re-open Firefox later, along with the toolbar buttons I added being gone, the window has returned to full-screen size even though I re-sized it.

    I don't think the program is running in safe mode, and my themes and extensions are all there and working normally. I know this sound like a minor problem, but I'm totally mystified as to why this is happening and how to fix it. I've even tried removing and re-installing the program, but that didn't work either.

    Thanks in advance for any help...

    **EDITED TO ADD: Oh, and I tried to bookmark this page, and even though my old bookmarks are there, I apparantly can't add any new ones...

    secondperiod, May 12, 2006

  2. secondperiod

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Try re-downloading the latest version of Firefox and doing a reinstall. These things happen from time to time for a whole host of reasons and often a reinstall will fix the problem. You shouldn't lose anything (except if you're using an older version, some extensions may not be compatible anymore). I'd also recommend running some spyware scanning aps and hijackthis.

    The Modfather, May 12, 2006

  3. secondperiod

    Clawador

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I just posted a response to something similar - this will probably cure the problem but you will be starting with a blank sheet so save all your bookmarks and passwords:

    If a fresh install doesn't work then go to "RUN" and type

    firefox.exe -profilemanager

    Create a new profile using the "create profile" wizard and you'll have Firefox running in it's original state.

    Firefox is my fave browser but OMG it's SO full of bugs!!

    Clawador, Jun 1, 2006