Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve Lee, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    I've narrowed my selection down to the Sony DSC-W1 and Canon S500.
    I've read the reviews of both cameras at various sites (not user
    reviews, but indepth expert/editor reviews), but none seem to make a
    strong recommendation over the other between these two.

    Here are some of the reviews I've read so far:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s410_s500-review/index.shtml
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_w1-review/index.shtml
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/w1.html
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s500.html
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S500/S50A.HTM
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W1/W1A.HTM and the side-by-side
    comparisons can be found here,
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...byside&cameras=canon_s500,sony_dscw1&show=all

    Because of Carl Zeiss lens used by DSC-W1, it seems to better pictures
    with less noise and aberration. Also, the W1 has some manual
    aperature options, while the S500 has none. However, the S500's white
    balance options are supposed to be better than the W1.

    Based upon the reviews, which camera would you guys choose? Thanks
    for your time and courtesy!

    Steve Lee, Jul 3, 2004

  2. I had the same decision and bought the Sony W1, but why?

    1. For spontaneous pictures you need the possibility of normal batteries. Somebody comes for a short visit, you
    want to take a picture, but not possible beause of emty accumulator. What then? Wait 4 hours for loading!
    2. Manual control of exposure and computing settings, as contrast, sharpening etc.
    3. Big display, which allows for a better composition of the image.
    4. Powerful flash

    Now it is up to you!

    AFH

    A.F. Hobbacher, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Steve Lee

    Marli Guest

    Canon make Cameras, Sony make toys and walkmans..

    Marli, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Steve Lee

    marlin Guest

    Just so you know, the lens isn't actually a Zeiss lens, rather it is a Zeiss
    style lens. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, I just thought you
    should know. Anyways, as much as I am a Canon fan, I say get the Sony.
    Richard

    marlin, Jul 3, 2004
  5. Steve Lee

    SleeperMan Guest

    marlin typed:
    Also noise isn't dependant on lens, but rather on CCD sensor. Good lens
    provides less distortion, not less noise.

    SleeperMan, Jul 3, 2004
  6. Steve Lee

    Sabineellen Guest

    Because of Carl Zeiss lens used by DSC-W1, it seems to better pictures
    The Carl Zeiss lens is a joke, just marketting hype and profitting from a name,
    it has little to do with the legendary Zeiss quality. Don't be fooled by that.
    Same is for Manual control; it's marketting hype ("aperture range is limited --
    you only have two choices: at wide-angle they are F2.8/F5.6 and at telephoto
    they are F5.2/F10"). No one cares if your image was automatically or manually
    exposed; all anyone cares about is whether it's well exposed or not. I suggest
    you just use spot metering and exposure compensation if necessary for difficult
    shots, anything beyond that for a compact digital is hype.

    BTW, have you looked at the Casio QVR-51? This is the one i'd buy if i was
    looking for a compact digital.

    Sabineellen, Jul 3, 2004
  7. Steve Lee

    ArtKramr Guest

    Subject: Re: Please help me to decide between these two cameras! I'm torn.
    What is a Zeiss "style" lens?

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jul 3, 2004
  8. Steve Lee

    ArtKramr Guest

    The lens is a Zeiss design made under tight Zeiss supervision every step of the
    way right through to final quality control.

    ArtKramr, Jul 3, 2004
  9. []
    One that has a Zeiss styling?

    David J Taylor, Jul 3, 2004
  10. Steve Lee

    marlin Guest

    That's the way I usually go about it, but in this instance, the Sony has
    longer battery life, less noise at higher ISO's, a better movie mode, has
    manual controls, and takes IMHO sharper pictures. The only mark against the
    Sony is that it doesn't have a custom white balance. Like I said, I'd go
    with the Sony if I were deciding between these cameras.
    Richard

    marlin, Jul 3, 2004
  11. Steve Lee

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    Spoken like a true Sony camera supporter. I would buy shares in a battery company if I owned one.

    Get LioN batteries. Charge them after use and months later they are ready to go. If not they charge for a few pics in 60 seconds.

    Gymmy Bob, Jul 3, 2004
  12. Steve Lee

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    Sony has better battery life? Can you should 3-400 pics over a week with one
    charge?

    Gymmy Bob, Jul 3, 2004
  13. Steve Lee

    marlin Guest

    Hmm, I see what you are saying. By battery life I meant consecutive
    pictures. If you took all the pictures in a row, you could take more with
    the sony.
    Richard

    marlin, Jul 3, 2004
  14. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    I know that W1's batteries takes much longer than S500's to recharge,
    6 hours and 2 hours, respectively. But I from what I read, there
    isn't too much of a difference in the battery time itself. However,
    Canon's is a proprietary form, while Sony's is not and in case my
    batteries run out, I can always use alkaline AAs if needed.

    Steve Lee, Jul 3, 2004
  15. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    Yeah, I did, but after having read the reviews, the movie mode (yeah,
    I know, you really shouldn't be using a dcam to take movies) on the
    Casio was dismal and there wasn't anything the reviewers mentioned
    that jumped out at me.

    Steve Lee, Jul 3, 2004
  16. Steve Lee

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    I have two digitals, a fuji 1400 and a fuji 2600 that use 4 and 2 AA cells
    respectively. The 4 AAs last about 2.0 hours on, whether you shoot pictures
    or not and the 2 AAs unit lasts about the same or maybe a little less. I
    realize this technology is almost two years old but that isn't acceptable
    after my Optio 550 LioN life of a week of intermediate shooting. Typical
    cycles range from 1 minute on to 30 minutes on with 1 to 20 pictures at a
    time. This has been done a few times now over a week for about 400 shots.

    Another thing to be noted is the Fuji 2600 with it's 2 AA cells cannot use
    Alkaline or Zinc-carbon batteries because they cannot charge to flash heavy
    draw and may damage the the circuitry from low voltage. (I have tried...they
    die fast)

    Gymmy Bob, Jul 3, 2004
  17. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    Hey AFH, I certainly appreciate your input into this matter. One
    question I have is your point #3. I do like the idea of the W1 having
    a 2.5" LCD over the 1.5" LCD the S500 has, which translates into a 40%
    bigger viewing area.

    But I noticed the pixel count on the W1's LCD is 123,000 and on the
    S500, 118,000. So, this means that W1 has (123,000 pixels/2.5" =)
    49200 pixels/inch and the S500 (118,000 pixels/1.5" =) 78667
    pixels/inch.

    So, S500 has close to 37% more pixels/inch count. When comparing the
    two cameras and looked at the LCD, did you notice any difference at
    all between the LCD image quality? Did S500 LCD images appear finer
    in detail and sharper? Thanks.

    Steve Lee, Jul 3, 2004
  18. Steve Lee

    Sabineellen Guest

    Hmmm... I haven't considered the movie mode. The thing that stands out about it
    is its excellent 5mp image quality, compact size, AA batteries, SD cards.

    What jumped at you in the others?

    Sabineellen, Jul 3, 2004
  19. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    Oh, one thing I forgot to ask was, but if you had to choose between
    just S500 & W1, which would you choose?

    Steve Lee, Jul 3, 2004
  20. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    Gymmy, thanks for your feedback based on your real life experience.
    I'll certainly take that into considerating as I comtemplate between
    the two cameras.

    And if I may trouble you for one more question, having read the
    reviews I had provided, which camera would you choose, if you had to
    choose just between S500 & W1? Thanks.

    Steve Lee, Jul 3, 2004