Please help me synch drive assignments on dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Donald Wilkinson, May 21, 2005.

  1. O.K. I have a problem with drive letter assignments.

    I’m building a new machine. An ASUS A8V, AMD 3500+, 200MB SATA as primary
    (divided into two partitions), and a 300MB IDE as file storage

    I first installed Win32. It went into the first partition of the SATA and
    called itself C: as nice as can be. FWIW I had not formatted the second half
    of that SATA drive. Anyhow the IDE drive showed up as G: Again all nice and
    happy.

    Then I installed my purchased copy of Win64 (not an upgrade). It loaded
    well. Established a dual boot BOOT.INI and happily ran and registered itself
    over my wireless NIC.

    Both systems seem to happily co-exist.

    However, the Win64 system installed itself as Drive G: and generally loused
    up my drive assignments. (I think the data drive in Win64 is called D)

    I expect to be running both systems for a while. I expect to use Win64 for
    extensive film and photo editing and the older Win32 mostly because I have
    some substantial driver problems with some of my commercial grade printers
    and scanners.

    It is kind of important that my data (picture) files have the same drive
    letter assignment in both systems. I, of course, can’t merely change the
    drive letter of the Win64 operating system. I haven’t loaded any of the
    applications on either system yet (I had expected trouble) and I will
    happily blow away either, or both.

    I sure would appreciate some suggestions on how to rebuild this machine to
    get Win32 on C: and Win64 on D:. I don’t much care what drive assignment I
    put the data disk on.

    Thanks for your help.

    Donald Wilkinson, May 21, 2005

  2. I had a similar problem when I installed Win64.

    There is two SATA disks and one PATA disk in my computer.
    SATA 1 is divided into two partitions and Win32 sees them as
    follows both in setup and when Win32 is installed:

    SATA 1 Partition 1: C

    SATA 1 Partition 2: D

    SATA 2: E

    PATA: F

    I installed Win32 on drive C but the Win64 setup saw them quite
    different. Unfortunately I can't recall exactly how it saw them,
    but it was something like this:

    SATA 1 Partition 1: C

    SATA 1 Partition 2: F

    SATA 2: E

    PATA: D

    I ended up disconnecting the SATA 2 and PATA disk before installing
    Win64 and by disconnecting I mean taking the power cable of both
    disks so that Win64 setup could only see SATA 1 partition 1 and 2.
    That allowed me to install Win64 on partition 2 which now had the
    same driver letter as in Win32 (D).

    When the Win64 installation was over, I plugged the SATA 2 and
    PATA disks on again.

    Thomas G. Madsen, May 21, 2005

  3. You can change the drive letter assignments of any of the drives EXCEPT the
    OS drives without problems, especially since you haven't installed apps yet.
    One thing that can help is to change the drive letter(s) assigned to CD/DVD
    drives -- I like to put CD-ROM drives at "R:" (for ROM) on all my machines.
    Gets it up out of the way. To change the assignment of your data drive,
    decide what drive letter you want to use for data. Whatever is currently
    assigned that drive letter, change it to something else, then assign the
    drive letter to your data drive. Repeat on both x64 and x86 versions of
    Windows.

    To assign a drive letter, Select Start, Run and then type "diskmgmt.msc" in
    the open field and hit enter to open the disk management MMC.
    Right Click on partition you want to change, and select "Change Drive Letter
    and Paths". Click Change and select the the new drive letter from the drop
    down list. Click OK as required to complete the change and exit out of disk
    management.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2005
  4. Donald Wilkinson

    andy Guest

    Drive letters are assigned during Setup.
    1. Disconnect the 300GB IDE drive from the motherboard.
    2. Boot from the XP 32 CD.
    3. ON the screen that shows the disks and partitions thereon, delete
    all partitions on the SATA disk.
    4. Create the first partition for Windows XP. Drive letter C: should
    be assigned to this partition, which is active primary.
    5. Create another partition for Windows XP 64. Drive letter D: should
    be assigned to this partition, which is a logical drive in an extended
    partition.
    6. If Drive letters C: and D: were not assigned correctly during 4.
    and 5., abort setup using F3-F3, and reboot from the CD.
    7. Otherwise, pick the first partition (C:) to install XP 32.
    8. Boot from XP 64 CD, and install on the second partition (D:).

    andy, May 21, 2005
  5. I blew away the Win64 installation. I did disconnect the IDE drive and
    formatted the extended partition on my SATA drive.
    With only one partition to go into Win64 installed itself as the D: drive.
    (apparently my problem stemmed for the fact that I had not created that
    extended partition before I tried to install Win64 - it was just
    "unallocated" space)

    Anyhow its all fixed and ready to rumble. Thanks for the help

    DonW

    Donald Wilkinson, May 22, 2005