Please Help me - Go on!...please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Niall Smyth, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Niall Smyth

    Niall Smyth Guest

    Hi all

    I am buying my first digi-compact
    and need basic advice- there are so many options
    and the 500euro i will spend does not come easy!

    I was wondering what the best and worst
    brands are.

    I want to get a camera with the best features
    I can afford but need to know the reputable brands

    The features I am interested in is good zoom & macro
    slow and fast shutters, night scene, with a recharge
    battery that does not go in two seconds

    I like the sonys and the Canon ixus (and simliar) for size
    The Pentax Optio 450gs is well featured for the price

    Which brands score best on battery life?

    Any links for unbiased reviews appreciated

    Many thanks

    Niall

    Niall Smyth, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Niall Smyth

    Frankhartx Guest

    Frankhartx, Aug 11, 2003

  3. Niall Smyth

    Jim Townsend Guest

    First off.. I doubt *anyone* here has actually tried the 30 odd cameras that
    fit your criterea. As such, no one is in a position to tell you which one is
    best. They are all so close.

    Your best bet is to go to a web site that tests and reviews cameras and read
    what they have to say. A good one is www.dpreview.com (there are others).

    A good rule of thumb is that the long time major camera manufacturers know how
    to make cameras and can be generally be trusted to produce a good product.

    Try the page below to see if you can reduce your selection and be more
    specific.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    Once you get down to one or two cameras, then ask.. You'll always get
    meaningful replies from owners if you're very specific.

    Jim Townsend, Aug 11, 2003
  4. "Niall Smyth" <> rouges his lips
    before he kisses a blackamoor:

    www.megapixel.net

    Click "english" or "french" then click "reviews" on the left.

    My personal opinion is not to buy a digital camera from a company that
    doesn't have a long standing reputation in film camera manufacturing.

    No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird,
    the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

    Michael Palin, Aug 12, 2003
  5. Niall Smyth

    Niall Smyth Guest

    Hi all

    Thanks for the tips

    I should mention that I ma budding artist
    and am interested in getting nice effects
    so a camera with creative features would suit

    Regards

    Niall

    Niall Smyth, Aug 12, 2003