    but also given good reviews by a recent magazine and other users. Any
    help, input, feedback appreciated! Thank you.

    http://artbox.stormpages.com/lenscompare

    Beowulf, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Beowulf

    Mark M Guest

    Were these hand-held?
    They both look rather blurry to me.
    If so, your comparison is unusable.
    Clearly the shots are not framed identically.

    Mark M, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Beowulf

    reg-john Guest

    lens y is the canon right?

    reg-john, Aug 22, 2003
  4. Beowulf

    Jean Guest

    My eyes and my monitor, Y seems better but very hard to tell from small
    pics.

    Jean

    Jean, Aug 22, 2003
  5. Beowulf

    JK Guest

    I prefer the results from lens Y. Neither set of images
    looks very sharp though.Is lens Y the Tamron lens?
    If so, then it is not so bad for a lens with over a
    10:1 zoom ratio. Someone else mentioned that the Canon
    35-80 is one of the lower quality Canon lenses. It would be
    better if images of a few different subjects were shown,
    and in higher resolution.Why did you do the comparison
    at ISO 800, and not ISO 100? A comparison at ISO 100,
    especially with a few different subjects would have been
    much more revealing.

    JK, Aug 22, 2003
  6. Beowulf

    JK Guest

    Not really. None of the images look very sharp. Especially for the purposes
    of comparing the shapness of lenses, a steady tripod should be used.
    The images also show that your hands aren't as steady as you might wish,
    and that you should try to shoot at 1/125th of a second or faster when
    hand holding a camera using these lenses.

    JK, Aug 22, 2003
  7. The lens on the left seems to offer better highlight separation and
    sharpness, but using 800 speed film is not the best way to run a test.

    Michael Scarpitti, Aug 22, 2003

  8. 1. Use a tripod
    2. Use 100 speed film
    3. Lens x looks a little better to me, but neither is impressive

    Michael Scarpitti, Aug 22, 2003
  9. I would prefer the Y

    Robert Stewart, Aug 22, 2003
  10. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    yes, Y is the Tamron.
    yes I will try and do a better test in the coming days. Hey I need some
    slack because it is hot and humid here in the midwest and tough to get
    motivated to do photography in a hot human environment-- but a cold front
    just moved in so I should have better energy for running some more tests.

    ISO 800 gave more flexibility for fstop and shutter (I normally do lots
    of photography as ISO 3200 with Ilford Delta 3200 Professional b&w film).
    But I will try a retesting at ISO 100 or nor more than 400 with lots of
    light and a tripod.

    Beowulf, Aug 22, 2003
  11. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    I just do not want the images to get too big for download since some
    might just have 56k modems, not broadband. Also computer screen
    resolution is only 100dpi, far below what an actual print could look
    like. But at least we can compare apples to apples, in spite of
    limitations of screen res.

    I thought the lenses that come with EOS Rebel film cameras *are* canon
    lenses, at least they have the Canon brand on them. Are you saying they
    are not Canon lenses, or that Canon is bundling crappy lenses with their
    cameras at a risk of losing their brandname reputation?

    Beowulf, Aug 22, 2003
  12. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Y is the Tamron 10x zoom lens.

    Beowulf, Aug 22, 2003
  13. Beowulf

    Charlie D Guest

    If you post crops, you don't have that problem.
    Post, say, 800 pixel wide crops from the full resolution images. That
    way we see the full resolution of the lenses.

    Charlie D, Aug 22, 2003
  14. I tried to reply to the e-mail that you sent, but it was returned. I
    currently own
    a Tamron 28-200mm AF Super LD lens that I have been very
    happy with. You can see some photo's taken with this lens at the link
    below. Sure, it's not "Pro" quality, but it has gotten me many compliments.
    Most of the photos on photo.net are handheld.Also note that most of
    close-ups
    are taken with a super cheap (under
    $200) Vivitar Macro lens; again I have been very happy with it.

    http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=391298

    Robert Stewart, Aug 22, 2003
  15. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    But some of the user reviews of the alleged "crappy" Tamron lens said that the image was soft or out of
    focus on the edges, which would be lost with a crop, unless i just post a
    crop that is on the edge.

    Beowulf, Aug 22, 2003
  16. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Your photos look nice to me. I suppose some supercritical photographers
    can find things to criticize about the sharpness and such (I am not
    talking composition now, just picture technical quality)-- but I am
    beginning to think that some people are just a bit overly anal retentive
    in analyzing lenses. I think more of a photo has to do with the subject,
    composition, lighting, adjustments in brightness and contrast. I forget
    his name (he is legendary), but there is this really old photographer who
    has been doing photos for LIFE magazine since forever, and he still uses
    his cheapo manual camera that is about 50 years old-- no fancy autofocus,
    no partial metering settings, no aspherical lenses, etc. etc. The point
    is his photos stand on their own because of subject, composition,
    lighting. Perhaps we would all do better worrying less about lenses and
    getting on with composing good photos?

    Beowulf, Aug 22, 2003
  17. Beowulf

    JK Guest

    Try taping a newspaper to a wall, the put the camera on a steady tripod
    and set it to the 100 ISO mode. That should be very revealing about
    lens sharpness.

    JK, Aug 22, 2003
  18. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    Good idea, I will try that!

    Beowulf, Aug 22, 2003
  19. Beowulf

    Charlie D Guest

    Of course you post crops of the areas described in your evaluation.
    Most reviews include the center and edges.

    Charlie D, Aug 23, 2003
  20. Beowulf

    Charlie D Guest

    PS

    You also have to have detail to be recorded in all parts of the images.
    The best way to do this is to use resolution test targets.
    Porters Camera usually has them. Someone also has said that Edmonds
    Scientific has them.

    Charlie D, Aug 23, 2003