PLEASE HELP - Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 3A mini PCI adapter - Aa

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Can ANYONE help at all?! Please!!!!!! (sad kitten eyes!)

    This is a long one, so make sure you're sitting comfortably!!! :eek:)

    I am running a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop and a PC through a Netgear WGT624
    router. The PC never has any problems connecting but the laptop does
    (intermittently!)

    Sometimes it connects fine and then all of a sudden the signal drops. It
    will sometimes re-connect on its own but other times I have to use the repair
    function, re-enter the encrypted network key, re-boot the laptop or whole
    network.

    Ive got WPA-PSK / TKIP set up on my Netgear router. IEEE 802.1x config and
    Windows firewall turned off. All passwords and network names match and my
    PC and laptop each has a separate IP address.

    Sometimes the router works ok if I have windows config it for me and it will
    also be ok if windows doesn’t config, but neither one seems to be fool proof!
    Sometimes the network properties seem to change on their own from WPA-PSK to
    open / wep.

    My router is in another room but still only about 12ft away and I don’t have
    3ft thick re-enforced concrete walls to stop the signal! :eek:)

    Ive noticed for some strange reason on my laptop, that the Intel radio keeps
    switching itself off, therefore disconnecting the wireless signal. It will
    then go to 'out of range' until I repair, sign in using my encrypted key or
    reboot or sometimes just reconnect on its own.

    I have updated my router software, updated my computer with windows updates
    and im now about to climb to the highest point I can find and throw the whole
    lot away!!!

    Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing any of the above problems?

    Thanks
    (P.S. Sorry it goes on forever but tried to fit as much info in as possible!)

    Guest, Oct 14, 2005