Please help: Can no longer access MY site/e-mails! (others can)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by spida, May 16, 2005.

  1. spida

    spida Guest

    Hey gang.

    This is my first post here and I'm in desperate need of help. I've
    been bumped around from my ISP to my HOST server guys back to the
    ISP......I don't know what to do.

    Four days ago, I was accessing my site (www.buccisarcade.com) just
    fine. I also have two e-mails related to this (ironicaly, one of them
    is the e-mail I use to log-into Google so....please don't e-mail
    computer for over four years now without a hitch.

    As of four days ago, my computer will NO longer let me access MY site
    (via the domain name). It will not let me access my e-mail (via
    Outlook) and I cannot get into my CPanel to update my site. I continue
    to get error messages and "no such host" for e-mail.

    Everyone else in the free world can get into my site. I also had my
    girlfriend try to get into my CPanel on her computer. NO problems
    there. So.....it's definitely something on my computer end of it.

    The only program I had changed recently was my MailWasher program which
    I use to download mail before I download it into my Outlook. A couple
    weeks ago, I started using the "bounce" feature to send bad e-mails
    back to the spammers. This is the only thing I have changed or done
    differently on this computer (and that was a couple weeks before this
    problem).

    I'll try to fill in on what was done so far. Obviously I've rebooted a
    million times (bompucter and DSL), deleted all Internet files, cookies
    and history, I also ran virus and Spam checks.

    Talking with my "server host" folks (hostdime.com) I have:

    1. 'ipconfig /flushdns' at command prompt. It said successful.
    However, still no luck.

    2. ping buccisarcade.com. Received Ping request could not
    find.....etc. etc.

    2. ran "tracert buccisarcade.com". Received Unable to resolve target
    system name buccisarcade.com

    3. ran telnet buccisarcade.com 25. Received Connecting to
    buccisarcade.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25:
    Connect failed

    They said it must be Verizon DSL.

    I called Verizon, we changed DNS server info, he checked settings.
    Still nada.

    I've Googled and tried a lot of different things (disabling Norton,
    etc.) I'm still.......just at a loss for words. I don't know what
    else to do.

    If you can help me at all, PLEASE give me a shout via
    . My aol IM is spida1. Or post here (i'll keep
    checking). If you need more info from me, I'll be happy to provide it.

    Thanks a million!!!!!!!
    Chris

    spida, May 16, 2005

  2. spida

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, May 16, 2005

  3. spida

    Mike Easter Guest

    Does that mean that you can connect to the webserver error at
    http://66.194.239.131 ?

    www.buccisarcade.com DNS 66.194.239.131

    Do you use a hosts file?

    There's a webserver at 66.194.239.131 serving 235 domainnames at that IP
    including buccisarcade
    Do *not* use MW's fraudulently promoted abusive bogus bounce feature
    which abuses bogus Froms and fraudulently forges an address of your
    provider which is not yours to forge, much less without their written
    permission which they would never give. That so-called 'feature' can
    get your email account cancelled and can also get your IP blocked.

    Perhaps your IP is being blocked by buccisarcade or your resolver can't
    resolve it
    That would require that your resolver know its IP.
    Some of those could also be attempted for the IP 66.194.239.131

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005
  4. spida

    Old Gringo Guest

    I use to have a chat friend in MN. that had a site like yours and
    every time someone clicked on it he got a Nickel or something. Is
    yours the same. You should check with your Hosting site for problems
    instead of trying to get everyone in a news group to click on it.

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  5. spida

    spida Guest

    Hey Mike. Thanks a lot for the tips and advice!!! I'll try to answer
    the questions you have for me:

    Yes, if I type that address into my address bar, I do get the "no site
    configured at this address" error. If I type in
    http://66.194.239.131/~spida, I can access my site that way.

    Please forgive my ignorance with this one. Could you be more speicic?

    Okay. Who could I contact for this? Verizon Online?
    Thanks,
    Chris

    spida, May 16, 2005
  6. spida

    spida Guest

    Thanks for the help! LOL!

    spida, May 16, 2005
  7. spida

    Old Gringo Guest

    Chris of Gamestay is that you??

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  8. spida

    Mike Easter Guest

    Then that means that your IP isn't blocked from accessing and points the
    finger of suspicion entirely at resolving problems.
    Some people use a hosts or a lmhosts file to map IP addresses to
    hostnames for the stack. If you have that hostname in there under a
    wrong IP address it will prevent your resolving it correctly. You can
    search with your Find file on hosts or lmhosts and if your only hosts
    files are hosts.sam and lmhosts.sam then you aren't using a functional
    hosts file. If there's a host in there without an extender look inside
    it for your domainname.
    If it isn't the hosts and the socket fix doesn't work, then I would
    suspect the verizon resolver or your relationship with it.

    When you have DNS problems, you can configure your own from public DNS,
    but doing the troubleshooting with verizon seems like the best way to do
    it.

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005
  9. spida

    spida Guest

    Okay. Thank you Mike. I've been on the phone with Verizon now three
    times and they have been unable to resolve my issue (basically ending
    the last conversation with "my personal computer must be the issue.
    Format everything). ;(

    One last question, is there any particular way I can tell Verizon to
    start troubleshooting (to point them in the right direction). In other
    words, terminology that will make sense. When I tell them I can't
    access my site, nor Outlook won't access any e-mails from that site
    ( example) and I can't get into my control
    panel........they get quiet. LOL!
    :)
    Thanks a million for the help.
    Chris

    spida, May 16, 2005
  10. spida

    spida Guest

    What the hell is Gamestay?

    spida, May 16, 2005
  11. spida

    Old Gringo Guest

    Nope not you. Good Luck. It's another buccisarcade of sorts.

    Old Gringo, May 16, 2005
  12. spida

    Mike Easter Guest

    I have to talk about configuring from a win98 point of view, so anything
    that is nt or xp specific for you will have to be adjusted by you or
    someone else here.

    Your IP sez level3 but you are saying verizon, so I'm assuming your
    provider is verizon and you are accessing by a level3 dialup modem.

    First, there's the information in 'my' winipcfg, which for others is
    ipconfig.

    In the more info section there's the DNS server/s - theres a little
    clicker beside it so you can see more than one. Those dns servers come
    from your network configuration, and you are able to pick them instead
    of just letting the system pick it for you.

    So, the first question is what do the dns servers say and the next
    question is how are you configured in your network settings. I'm not
    very familiar with dialup, since I've used it so rarely, but the
    fundamentals of dns problems are the same.
    Right now we're thinking you are having DNS problems and you are getting
    your dns from verizon or level3.

    Also, I'm having a little trouble working on some of this because the
    arin whois is not working right. I can't even look up your IP there
    without going to its website.

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005
  13. spida

    spida Guest

    No problem Mike. I appreciate you trying to help regardless. I'm with
    Verizon Online but using their DSL service (not dial-up).

    spida, May 16, 2005
  14. spida

    Mike Easter Guest

    In any case, what does ipconfig say in more info about the dns servers?

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005
  15. spida

    spida Guest

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dsl-verizon.n

    spida, May 16, 2005
  16. spida

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, May 16, 2005
  17. spida

    spida Guest

    Yes I did. Right away after you posted in fact. Thanks.

    No change. ;(

    spida, May 16, 2005
  18. spida

    Mike Easter Guest

    You didn't say what about hosts and lmhosts vs hosts.sam & lmhosts.sam

    Search for hosts with your find file function.

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005
  19. spida

    Mike Easter Guest

    I'm not familiar with that format. My winipcfg 'more info' sez
    specifically 'DNS Servers' and I have 3 of them and I got them from my
    network configuration tcp/ip properties which sez use DHCP for wins
    resolution.

    Also, if I query my router which is talking to my cable modem, it knows
    the DHCP server is enabled and it also knows what all 3 of my DNS
    servers are.

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005
  20. spida

    Mike Easter Guest

    Your IP situation is behaving strangely. It 'should' rDNS and it
    doesn't. It doesn't have to, but dynamics, whether they be cable,
    dialup, or dsl usually do. The nameservice for the latter IP is first
    ns1.Level3.net for 1.152.14.4.in-addr.arpa PTR record and then
    dnsauth1.sys.gtei.net - that's for your gateway IP. Yours doesn't
    either.

    Also, arin is handling those level3 IPs strangely as well. Earlier I
    tho't it was arin being sick, but now I'm not sure.

    What I'm thinking is that the level3 IP situation which you are 'dealt'
    or assigned isn't/doesn't have good DNS. Sometimes some IP family is
    treated as if it doesn't 'belong' -- so the DNS won't cooperate with it.
    That is, your IP isn't in the verizon family.

    Some IP like 206.46.232.11 will rDNS to a verizon.net name. Also, if
    you go to root with 11.232.46.206.in-addr.arpa you get prompt responses
    to epazote.arin.net and otherguy.gte.net which knows that is
    relay.verizon.net

    Mike Easter, May 16, 2005