Please help...Any inputs will be greatly appreciated here.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, May 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I know this forum has a lot of smart individuals so I am posting my wireless
    issue here. Please give me any inputs or ideas you may have.

    I am setting up a simple home wireless. Cable modem, D-Link DI-524 router, a
    laptop with XP Home/SP2 and D-Link DWL-G630 cardbus adapter.

    I have successfully configured the router with both WPA and WEP. After
    configuring the cardbus adapter, I have excellent connection with the router
    and great signals. I know this because the wireless icon on the task bar says
    so.

    I have nothing when I open the browser. I can't go to any website. It
    appears as if I have no internet connection whatsoever. I have sucessfully
    created a wireless network but there is no internet populated throughout my
    network. I jokingly made an analogy with a good pipe hooked up from A to B
    but no water is running.

    I have tried these fixes so far:

    - Disable Wireless Zero Configuration
    - Tried either WEP or WPA on both ends.
    - Disable SSID broadcast
    - Select OPEN or SHARED on both ends

    I can't think of anything else I should try so please help me. Thank you.

    Guest, May 14, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, May 14, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I also would like to add that I did verify that the internet to my hom is in
    fact working properly. Thanks

    Guest, May 14, 2006
  4. Guest

    Lem Guest

    Assuming that your laptop has an Ethernet jack, remove the wireless
    adapter from your laptop and connect the laptop by Ethernet cable
    directly to one of the LAN ports on the router. Can you connect to the
    Internet?

    In your normal configuration (no Ethernet cable from laptop to router
    and wireless adapter installed), open a web browser and type in
    192.168.0.1 Do you get a login screen? Enter admin as the user name
    and leave the password blank. Do you get to the D-Link router
    configuration utility?

    Lem, May 14, 2006
  5. Guest

    RalfG Guest

    Confirm that the router is correctly configured to connect to your
    particular cable system.

    Check that you have DNS Relay (forwarding) enabled in the router options.
    Not sure what page that would be in a DI524 but it is on the Home tab, LAN
    settings on mine.

    If you enabled MAC filtering make sure your wireless adapter's MAC address
    is registered and allowed access to the internet.

    If you are using a software firewall it could block access to the internet.
    Check that the router IP is in the Safe or local network and not in any
    blocked IP list.

    Disabling SSID would be counterproductive for troubleshooting purposes.

    WPA-PSK is the better security option. Straight WPA or WPA-EAK won't work
    without extra hardware/software.

    Use either Wireless Zero configuration or the Dlink WLAN utility but not
    both at the same time. If using the Dlink Wlan utility also set the
    Wireless Zero service to Manual or Disabled.

    Make sure that IEEE 802.1x authentication is turned off (on the
    Authentication tab, your wireless network properties).

    RalfG, May 15, 2006
  6. Guest

    Jack Guest

    Hi,
    Seeing signal in the Wireless configuration application, or reading
    somewhere in the system that you are connected, does not mean that you
    actually have a functional Wireless connection.
    If you can use the Internet with your Wireless Computer, the Wireless
    connection is OK. If you do not have an Internet connection available, a
    simple way to ascertain that you have a connection is to try to use the
    Internet Browser in a Wireless Client computer and find out if you can
    connect to the Router's (Access Point) Menus (see your hardware manual for
    the Router's IP Address, the login name and the password).
    If you cannot connect to the Router this might help.
    In general http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, May 15, 2006